Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The salesperson at AutoZone recommended ArmorAll outlast. He claimed it is great for the seals and weatherstripping and can also be used to restore Fender flares. Thought I would ask the experts on here what everyone uses?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I've used John Deere Silicon spray for a couple years with great satisfaction. Got Sahara fenders so no problem...however bumpers/other plastic goes grey. Never had ANY results with Armor All for the 'grey-out' worth the purchase. Mequires Back to Black does good more for me, 303 not so much. Lots of stuff out there that works so-so & often threads come up here.

Seems some get good results on one kind of goo, while others don't.

Good luck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, does the back to black help keep the seals and weatherstripping plump and supple, or does it just help with the coloring? And yes, I just used the words plump and supple, insert laughter here, I am sure you know what I mean though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Honda Shin-Etzu grease is what a lot of members, including myself, use on the freedom top seals. I also put a small amount in the corners of all the doors and on the rear glass seals. Helps with keeping water out. From what I've read, it's purpose is to keep the seals plump and moist. Lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm no expert, but after washing (and or waxing) the Jeep. The soft top, fenders, tires, and both hood latches get's a good coating of 303 Aerospace Protectant. I bought the 16oz spray bottle (you can use any spray bottle), then refill it with the gallon size jug.

To give you an idea how well the 303 dose it job. My previous 09' JK spent approximately 3 1/2 years in the open (always outside, never garaged) in the lower desert areas in Arizona, and again around 1 1/2 years in the open in California.

This is how the 09' JK looked a few months before we bought he 2014 JK.

BTW, I use about 3/4 of the 16oz spray bottle on one application! That's the reason I buy it by the gallon. ... LOL

Good luck!

Pops

PS my top never came down, so I don't know about it's sealing abilities.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, is the 303 help full for the seals and weatherstripping as well, or should I be using the Honda product for those and the 303 for all other areas?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Awesome! Where can I buy the 303? Is it something I can pick up locally or do I need to order it online somewhere?
I purchase the 303 at my friends RV Dealership. If I know I'll be gone for awhile, I'll buy a gallon back up. ... LOL ... So I'm not sure where you'd buy it locally, but I'd give a RV Dealership a call, as a lot of them (to my understanding) are stocking it.

I'd buy the 16oz spray bottle, if you like it. Buy it by the gallon.

Also, is the 303 help full for the seals and weatherstripping as well, or should I be using the Honda product for those and the 303 for all other areas?
Not sure cause my top never came down. I take that back, the Dealership made an adjustment to the soft top approx 8 months or so after purchasing the JK when I returned to Arizona. Other then that, I never took the top down. So can't confirm about it's sealing capabilities.

However, when I applied the 303. I made sure everything was coated with the stuff.

Pops

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet, we have an RV as well and spend a fair amount of time at the RV dealership. I will check it out, can the 303 be used on the seals and weatherstripping as well?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Straight up Silicone spray works fine on door seals and rubber bits. I've been using it for years. It's one of the first things I do when I get a new vehicle. Every year spray it down again and you'll never have a problem. Cheap and easy.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Oh, and I don't recommend using 303 or Vinylex for this purpose (those that have read my threads know I am a BIG fan of both those products.) That is not what they were designed for. They just don't last like grease does.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
4.7oz Shin-Etsu silicone grease: $16.75
10oz Silicone spray - $7.16

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
4.7oz Shin-Etsu silicone grease: $16.75
10oz Silicone spray - $7.16
1) Spray and grease are NOT equal. Both have their uses, and if you want leak free seals for years, you want grease.

2) If you use the tube I linked only for lubing the seals of the JK, it should last you the better part of 3 years, assuming you lube your seals like I do...every 3 months.

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I bought my 303 at Ace Hardware.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts