Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a 2in spacer suspension lift kit on my 99 TJ and I don't know what size tires I can run. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
So long as you also went with aftermarket wheels, which move the tires out a tad, the max size you can go with is 32x11.50. I would stay with 31x10.50 if you want to stay with factory wheels which position the tires in closer which would be a problem for the wider 32x11.50 size tire.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Jerrys right

I have a 2" budget boost on stock shocks

31x10.50x15's on cragar soft 8's with 4" back spacing.You will ned atleast 3 3/4" back spacing.

I can full flex with no problems with the front sway bar disconnected

The tires barely rubbed my fender flares

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have after market rims as well, ive seen some places that say you could run 33s with a 2in lift with backspacing on the rims.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
ive seen some places that say you could run 33s with a 2in lift with backspacing on the rims.
Those places are wrong, 2" is not enough lift for 33" tires unless you've used a sawzall on the wheel well openings, replaced the fenders with high clearance aftermarket fenders, or the suspension's uptravel has been severely crippled by excessively tall bump stops. For 99% of Jeepers, 2" is not enough for 33" tires. 3" is the bare minimum for street use but 4" is recommended for offroading. 1" of any of those can be accomplished by a 1" body lift instead... like a 3" suspension lift plus 1" body lift to give the 4" of clearance recommended for offroading with 33" tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I bought my jeep the PO put 32x11.5 on aftermarket rims with no lift. It works and looks pretty good but I definitely rub the top of the fender when flexed, and that's with the sway bar stil hooked up.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Those places are wrong, 2" is not enough lift for 33" tires unless you've used a sawzall on the wheel well openings, replaced the fenders with high clearance aftermarket fenders, or the suspension's uptravel has been severely crippled by excessively tall bump stops. For 99% of Jeepers, 2" is not enough for 33" tires. 3" is the bare minimum for street use but 4" is recommended for offroading. 1" of any of those can be accomplished by a 1" body lift instead... like a 3" suspension lift plus 1" body lift to give the 4" of clearance recommended for offroading with 33" tires.
Just curious Jerry, (obviously depending on wheel back space) would 33X10.50's clear any better than 12.50's ? I ran 10.50's on my '67 CJ5 where 12.50's would have rubbed pretty badly, but the TJ is a totally different vehicle.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My sister has a 04' Rocky Mountain Edition with a BDS 2" spring lift. She has 33x12.50 Duratracs on stock wheels...she doesn't do much more than a few sand dune trips north and trail rides... it works... although I think 1" more would be better, 2" best. I suggested to add 1 3/4" coil spacers to her BDS kit for what she does.

·
Registered
273 Posts
With any 10.5" tire on stock rims you're going to rub your lower control arms at full lock unless you adjust the steering stops.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I run JK rubi wheels on my stock suspension TJ. They are 255's which are ~32". They look alright but would do better in the flex department with about a 2" spring spacer lift.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
33" needs a 4" lift in any combination of SL and BL period. I have 33" Dratracs which measure closer to 32". There's no way for a 2" lift to clear them safely. 3" is borderline and may be fine on the street.

2" lift the day before my 1.25" BL came in the mail:

The next day I installed the BL:

I went wheeling with that setup. Notice the lack of clearance with very little flex:

I replaced the 2" BB up front with v8 ZJ springs for another inch of lift. Technically at 4.25" lift in front but due to spring sag from old stockers it was probably less than 4".):

Replaced all springs with 3" Currie Coils:

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
33's are fit in two common ways on TJ's:

1. 4" suspension lift, with 2" bumpstop extensions in front and 2-2.5" in the rear. Requires a SYE/CV shaft.
2. 2.5" suspension lift, with a 1.25" body lift, with 1-1.25" bumpstop extensions in front and 1.25-1.5" in the rear. The 1" BL usually accompanies a 1" Motor Mount Lift to offset some of the driveline angles.

Either way you go, figure on many of the following components: longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, gears, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, new shocks, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have friends that run 2.5" BB with 33" tires and they have enough flex and don't rub (they're opinion of enough flex is objective) but adding a 1.25" Bl to your lift now will definitely do the trick. some say atleast 4" to offroad. obviously not

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
...some say atleast 4" to offroad. obviously not
Those who recommend 4" for 33" tires for offroading are experienced and not newbies who don't know any better. Heck it is conceivable to run 35" tires offroad with no suspension lift but does that make it something that can be recommended? No, which is why those with experience recommend 4" of clearance for 33" tires when offoading is the use of them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Those who recommend 4" for 33" tires for offroading are experienced and not newbies who don't know any better. Heck it is conceivable to run 35" tires offroad with no suspension lift but does that make it something that can be recommended? No, which is why those with experience recommend 4" of clearance for 33" tires when offoading is the use of them.
4" would be necessary if you're doing trips to Moab and need an insane amount of flex. you're right, I didn't mean to say 4" isn't needed I just meant to say that it isn't absolutely necessary to have a capable rig with 33s and enough room to offroad

1 - 20 of 39 Posts