Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I decided after ten years to go back to a Jeep Wrangler (God I missed you!). It is a used 2008 JK Unlimited X. I have had it for about a week and today, while driving home from work, I noticed something.

When shifting gears (all), I press in on the clutch, shift to respective gear, let out on clutch, and when I then press on the gas, I hear a ticking sound and the Jeep bucks/shudders (not slightly, but not violently either).

What the heck is going on? I also looked under the rear and noticed that the rear diff cover was a little wet looking (not raining either).

Any help is much appreciated.:D

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I have a 2010 and had that happen to me only from second to third happend about a half a dozen times only when i didnt drive it for a couple of days .hasent happened in a while only 4000 miles on it thought it might be normal just breaking in .dont know ?

·
Administrator
30,780 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

How many miles do you have on it? Did you buy it from a private seller or a dealership?
Was everything running smoothly (and quietly) when you test drove it?

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Might you be describing the effect of backlash?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought it at a dealership and this problem was not evident during the test drive. Ran and drove like a dream. Still does, except for this. It hAs 44,500 miles on it.

What exactly is backlash?

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
From your description it sounds like a clutch issue, provided you are using it properly. It could just be the way you worded it, but my concern is
let out on clutch, and when I then press on the gas
. This should be occurring simultaneously not one after the other.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
From your description it sounds like a clutch issue, provided you are using it properly. It could just be the way you worded it, but my concern is . This should be occurring simultaneously not one after the other.
That is why I suspected backlash. It does make a noise when you "take up the slack" going from coast to power.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems like you guys are understanding my description. However, how much slack is good vs bad and does this have anything to do with the JK's different type of manual transmission? I heard someone mention in other forums that it was a Hydraulic type.:confused:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From your description it sounds like a clutch issue, provided you are using it properly. It could just be the way you worded it, but my concern is . This should be occurring simultaneously not one after the other.
It's not bad to wait until the clutch is fully disengaged, is it? I think I would just be revving up the engine if the clutch was still engaged.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
It should be a smooth transition with any clutch. Disengage the clutch as you apply the gas. The proper amount of gas for the proper amount of clutch. There should be zero lurch and zero slip.

I spent a whole day recently with an out of town guest in my company who was riding along with me. Near the end of the day, he said, "I just realized you're driving a manual."

It should be that smooth.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
It seems like you guys are understanding my description. However, how much slack is good vs bad and does this have anything to do with the JK's different type of manual transmission? I heard someone mention in other forums that it was a Hydraulic type.:confused:
Ya, the clutch linkage is hydraulic. This isn't my first vehicle with that type of clutch linkage. I don't even give a second thought. I thought on my S-10 that I would wear it out or something. Nope. Now I just use it and as long as it works, no worry.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Welcome to the forum by the way! It couldn't hurt to check the oil levels in your diffs just to eliminate noise/binding possibility
Mark

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Mark! I bought my back bumper from you! Small world. I took the Jeep to the dealer that sold it to me and they directed me to the closest Jeep dealer (right down the road) and I have an appt set up for Tuesday. Keeping my fingers crossed that they hear/feel what I am describing. Buying a used Jeep from a non-Jeep dealer has it's cons when trying to get warranty work done, that's for sure.:banghead:

·
Registered
828 Posts
cverstij said:
Hey Mark! I bought my back bumper from you! Small world. I took the Jeep to the dealer that sold it to me and they directed me to the closest Jeep dealer (right down the road) and I have an appt set up for Tuesday. Keeping my fingers crossed that they hear/feel what I am describing. Buying a used Jeep from a non-Jeep dealer has it's cons when trying to get warranty work done, that's for sure.:banghead:
Which dealer are you going to?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It's not bad to wait until the clutch is fully disengaged, is it? I think I would just be revving up the engine if the clutch was still engaged.
LOL, it isn't "bad" really. clutch all the way out before gassing it will make your clutch last a long long time, but it's much nicer to your drivetrain to rev it and allow the slippage...

being that a clutch is $50 or so and an engine/tranny rebuild is in the thousands, it makes more sense to let it eat the clutch up a bit :) gassing as you clutch and letting it slip will make for much smoother driving and will keep expensive components from experiencing as much torque.

·
Registered
828 Posts
cverstij said:
I bought it at Hubler Chevy in Greenwood, but they sent me to Obrien Jeep down the road about three miles (by the mall).
If you would, let me know how they are. Been trying to find a decent one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts