Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been average of -16 Celsius here and recently warmed up to -2. Found this fluid frozen under the front driver side. It melted off a bit to the snow under the car.

I think it's my washer fluid. Checked my washer tank and it's empty (not supposed to be) Did old man winter just bust up my reservoir tank?

I haven't driven this all winter. I think I may have left regular washer fluid in the tank...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Only think I can think of unless the hulk sneezed under there lol. Nice undercoating job too

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Pour some washer fluid into your reservoir and see if it leaks out. That's probably the best way to tell. I thought it might be the salt solution some municipalities use, but it would be all over the underside if that were the case. Sounds like you answered your own question.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It's most likely the windshield washer reservoir grommet. That's the piece that fits through the windshield washer reservoir and connects to the windshield washer pump. It's a plastic piece that has a screen on the end that fits into the reservoir. In extreme cold temperatures what happens is the plastic doesn't make a complete seal and the fluid leaks out. In the winter you really have to use at least -20/-25 windshield washer fluid. Even using that, once you get below 15 degrees above zero you can get a leak. Once it gets warmer the leak should stop. It doesn't happen to all JK's, but it happens to alot depending on the outside temp. The grommet isn't really designed properly. The plastic will shrink in extreme cold just enough for it to leak. It then expands and the leak will stop. If it doesn't you could have another issue, but I bet that's the problem. If it still continues to leak you can get this part (Genuine 61667006063 Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoir Grommet). It's actually made for a BMW but it's an exact fit for JK's. Another forum member did the research and had previously posted this. This part has a rubber grommet instead of plastic and it works. I got one for myself. It cost less than $7.00.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kik, thank you so much for that advice. Seems like you are spot on.

I'm going to take it to the dealer this coming weekend just to make sure.

Pretty sure they are going to charge me 150-300 and claim its a broken reservoir.

Isn't this stuff covered by warranty?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It's covered under 3/36, unless they try and make an issue regarding the fluid. They might just replace the grommet with the Chrysler part if they can't find that either the pump or reservoir is cracked. If they use the Chrysler grommet it might be fine for awhile but it could still leak down the road because the plastic will contract in extreme cold. But, as long as you're under 3/36 they'll have to keep replacing it if it continues to happen. Maybe the new part will work. If not, you can get the BMW part which will work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow thanks. Is there a link to a the actual warranty?

Also, I'm in Canada so would section 3/36 still apply?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts