Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed spare tire mount to deal with some rust
and found this vent?
Guess I don't understand why a vent is needed here.
Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
vent

Learn to pronounce
noun
an opening that allows air, gas, or liquid to pass out of or into a confined space.
synonyms: outlet, inlet, opening, aperture, vent hole, hole, gap, orifice, space, cavity, cleft, slit, pore, port; duct, flue, shaft, channel, well, passage, air passage, airway, blowhole, breather

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's for when you have the hardtop on, when you close the doors it let's air out and the cabin breathe in general. Any TJ's 03+ had them, older than that the vents were in the rear corners of the hard top.

Nice of someone from the JK community to stop by and be really helpful...

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Removed spare tire mount to deal with some rust
and found this vent?
Guess I don't understand why a vent is needed here.
Any ideas?
It is so you can close your doors easier. As you close the door, the air is pushed out the vent vs pushing against the door. Path of least resistance type of thing in simplest terms. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,683 Posts
When you close a full door with window up on a hardtop the air will punch the door back away from closing unless vented

Early years TJ vented via vertical vents in back side of hardtop and newer TJ year hardtops have no vents as there is a vent in the tailgate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
In the photo, it looks as if you have tape covering the mounting holes for the spare tire carrier. I just put the screws back in while I had mine off (preping for repainting Jeep last year) to keep rain water out of the TG.

If you plan to leave it off, you can disconnect the CHMSL wire inside the tail gate and then work it out. You can then find an appropriate plug for that hole.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you close a full door with window up on a hardtop the air will punch the door back away from closing unless vented

Early years TJ vented via vertical vents in back side of hardtop and newer TJ year hardtops have no vents as there is a vent in the tailgate

Thank you! Thank you!

That makes sense to me now.
All good answers. Don't know what I'd do without you guys and your know-how.

My next concern is this.........It looks really dangerous to me because it looks like it could rust through very soon.

These rear brake lines are attached to a "block" with the main brake line coming in at the center and some kind of rubber vent tube coming out the top. (Maybe vent for differential housing?)
But there is no fitting on the main brake line coming in the center of that block?
Has it rusted away completely? How is it possible to change this rusted brake line?
Can this "block be removed/replaced at all?
I give up....

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Assuming your is the same as my 05 LJ. The tube coming through the block is the axle vent. When you remove the rubber hose from the top of it you can unscrew a metal tube that holds the block onto the axle. The new rubber hose comes with a new block on that end of it. So basically you just disconnect the hard lines from the block, remove the hose and block as 1 piece, and replace it.

This is the part. There is also an extended version if you have enough lift and/or suspension travel to need it.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/52449_1225.htm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lots and lots of PB Blaster. You can tap the fittings lightly (be careful and don't distort the wrench flats) to help it soak in. After a few days of this you might get the lines out of the block without twisting them off. I'd have a bender and a double-flare tool ready to go though. New brake line is cheap and could save your life.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thank you! Thank you!

That makes sense to me now.
All good answers. Don't know what I'd do without you guys and your know-how.

My next concern is this.........It looks really dangerous to me because it looks like it could rust through very soon.

These rear brake lines are attached to a "block" with the main brake line coming in at the center and some kind of rubber vent tube coming out the top. (Maybe vent for differential housing?)
But there is no fitting on the main brake line coming in the center of that block?
Has it rusted away completely? How is it possible to change this rusted brake line?
Can this "block be removed/replaced at all?
I give up....
It's already starting to leak...Change NOW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Assuming your is the same as my 05 LJ. The tube coming through the block is the axle vent. When you remove the rubber hose from the top of it you can unscrew a metal tube that holds the block onto the axle. The new rubber hose comes with a new block on that end of it. So basically you just disconnect the hard lines from the block, remove the hose and block as 1 piece, and replace it.

This is the part. There is also an extended version if you have enough lift and/or suspension travel to need it.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/52449_1225.htm

Thanks much for your help!!
I would never have figured that out on my own!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots and lots of PB Blaster. You can tap the fittings lightly (be careful and don't distort the wrench flats) to help it soak in. After a few days of this you might get the lines out of the block without twisting them off. I'd have a bender and a double-flare tool ready to go though. New brake line is cheap and could save your life.

Thanks! That Worked well!

There wasn't enough of the flare fittings left to get any standard size SAE or METRIC wrench on them. Had to use vice grips. But they all loosened up.
Here are the parts I found online..... I think they will work okay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123635071334

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-H3808...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0026M9A9M

1 - 12 of 12 Posts