Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend while getting my cat-back system installed, the shop did their little around the vehicle inspection, and then came to get me. They told me that my oil pan and gasket had a leak and needed to be replaced. They were going to charge 375 bucks, but i declined as I'd rather have Jeep diagnose and fix issues like that and because I have a warranty. I last changed my oil back in January. When I drove home I checked the dipstick and I'm actually a tad bit overfilled (6 qts is a little too much for the 3.8 motor). If it's leaking, it's very slow and I haven't seen any drops on the garage floor either. Were they correct in saying its leaking? Is it even the oil pan? If it is a very slow leak, should I even worry about it right now? Will a Mopar extended 100k mile warranty cover some of the cost?

View attachment 2011537

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The area that looks greasy is the area they said was leaking. Jeep is running fine. 2010 sport 6 speed manual with 72,000 miles.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well that's no where near the oil pan ! Kinda looks like normal seeping to me. Especially for year and mileage.
Wash it and check it to see how quick it gets dirty again...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crap, nevermind...I don't know what I was looking at. Here's the oil pan and it is definitely greasy looking, BUT like I said. I haven't seen any oil on the garage floor or driveway.

View attachment 2011665

·
Registered
907 Posts
lol....again I think it's normal seeping for age. Could it use a new gasket probably, but if it hasn't developed
A drip I don't think it's dire straights yet. I'd give the engine a good washing and keep a eye on it. $370 vs $50 DIY.....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you use to spray on that? I don't want to use something too rough and mess those belts and pulleys up

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
On a cool engine soak it down with some Orange Blast degreaser. Let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Then power wash it off.

You could also put a socket on the pans nuts and make sure they're all tight.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Clean it up as others mentioned and see what happens. If you suspect the oil pan gasket get some UV dye that you add to the oil. Clean things up real good, add the dye, drive 50 miles, and inspect with a black light. Repeat black light inspection every 50-100 miles, if you don't see anything check every 250 miles. The dye will tell you if its oil and where it is coming from.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I wouldn't ever try to tighten something w a gasket that's been in place.

Looks and sounds like it's seeping. No drops, no drop on the dipstick. Ur good.

I wouldn't touch it till ur ready to replace it. Gasket replacement would be on the agenda for me. Reminds me of my rear diff. It's seeping since I got it and will be fixed onthe next warm day off...after steelhead season of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts