Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this black plastic part is called around the loop on the front tubular bumper? I'm having my bumper fixed and rechromed, and I stretched one of them and I have to replace it. Thank You.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
do you know who makes the bumper, and perhaps contact them? Wish we could be more helpful but most of us remove anything chrome and toss it. Would it be cheaper to just get a new chrome bumper vs the repair and re-chrome?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an original factory Mopar bumper. It has matching sidesteps, and rear. They don't make it anymore, and only cheap looking aftermarkets are available. So, I had to fix and rechrome this one. I actually got the 3'' tube, and had a auto shop, block it and weld new pieces. But, when removing those plastic pieces, I stretched one of the fasteners, and I would like to get new ones.

Yes, I'm aware that most people mod their jeeps. While, I think that is super cool, I like my loaded stock Yuppie build. Anyone know the name of this part, please?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I never saw chrome bumpers from the factory on a TJ. Unless you bought it new that way from the dealer.

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
not sure where to get the part, but yeah they are "factory" bumpers that were made by Mopar, you could order them from the dealer. Some dealers would even put them on Jeeps there in house then add them to the sticker price.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
What year is it. I have all the TJ parts books and can take a look.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well, as a parts guy, I'd call it a "grommet", or "cover". Maybe. But in reality it's garbage. Or, something that should be removed and scrapped.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
I have the complete '97 factory parts listing but it doesn't show that aftermarket bumper. My bet is your dealer probably bought them as a set from a local 4x4 store & had them installed. I used to be in the aftermarket Jeep parts/services business & that very common.

I do have some Mopar aftermarket parts lists but chrome tube bumpers don't show up on them.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Yes they were an option, my bad, but the part he is looking for is not listed separately.

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
What Mopar list did you find that on?
Maybe they were available through the Mopar Performance Catalog. It doesn't matter though at this point, those grommets or whatever you want to call them are not available. Scrap that crap!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
That section started to appear in the 2000 parts list so I assume he has a 2000 or later.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I guess they did not start listing those accessories in the parts fiche until 2000. Either way I do not see it as a part you can order. Maybe if he took a picture of it to a dealer their more updated parts manuals may show it.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Per has 'Garage' link, he has a '97.
Personally I have stopped looking for that type of info if the poster does not have the sense to supply the info when he posts the question.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts