Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to find out what this part is called. And anyone know if you can order it? This is on my 2018 JKU front bumper. It is powder coated, which as you can see didn't take. I purchased Max in 1/2019 a month later this thing rusted to crap. Been to the dealer three times to submit photos to FCA for repairs. It is now July an I haven't heard a thing yet. Five months an counting....will be making sure the replacement is with OEM part only. From what I can see on mopars site...you can't order just this part. Anyone have any ideas? This really sticks out like a sour thumb on a brand new ride. Getting frustrated with the lack of not getting this taken care of.....UGH. Thanks for any help you can give...:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
I am going to say that it has an AEV bumper and that is the tow hooks. Maybe post a better photo so people actually can see what they are looking at but looks like either an AEV tow point or a Maximus 3 tow point. Neither would be covered under most circumstances.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you the original owner? That doesn't look factory.

Kinda looks like a plow bracket.
Yes I am the original owner. Bumper is possibly the 75th steel addition. I can't seem to find it on Mopars site. I uploaded another photo of the front. It looks like a tow hook...just can't find the part.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to say that it has an AEV bumper and that is the tow hooks. Maybe post a better photo so people actually can see what they are looking at but looks like either an AEV tow point or a Maximus 3 tow point. Neither would be covered under most circumstances.
Thanks I uploaded another photo. Hope it helps out. I know its some type of tow hook...just can't find the part.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
That is an AEV premium bumper. Wonder how it ended up on your jeep if you are the original buyer. If the dealer decides to do anything, don't hold your breath, they would wire brush it and spray bomb it.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
It was stock on a few different JKs but definitely the Winter Edition. One of the local dealers had a bunch of them when I was hunting a manual to test drive before I ordered my 18.
Thanks, I saw your post after I posted, then researched a little. Cool.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is an AEV premium bumper. Wonder how it ended up on your jeep if you are the original buyer. If the dealer decides to do anything, don't hold your breath, they would wire brush it and spray bomb it.
Yeah they already offered to wire brush an spray paint it. I think not..its powdered coated. I know because I did powdered coating for 16 years. Feeling like I am getting the run around to say the least.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have the AEV bumper that came stock on certain JKs. The tow points are separate pieces but part of the assembly. You can see them laid out in the parts pic here: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jk-premium-front-bumper/
Yep that is the one. Can't understand why its taking them so long to get this taken care of. Now I will have to see if I can track down the part, if it can be ordered separate. Then had the information off to the dealer so they can get it fixed. Would be so upset if it didn't stick right out there...LMAO. I am a women on a hunt for sure.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for all the help. Now I will find the part if it is sold separate.....and let the lagging dealer get it done. Five months is a load of crap.

·
Registered
925 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool find. Ironically the bottom of the page shows touch up paint sprayed exactly over this part.

:D
Yes I seen that also. Not going to let that happen. Jeep off the lot for less then a month....they need to get a powdered coated replacement. Thankful he found this for me. I have reached out to them to see if you can order just the tow hanger. If not....looks like a whole new bumper. Will not settle.....FCA needs to back the stuff they use or choose to use. This girl will get it done....:). Not my first trip with dealer or FCA by no means. Look out....the horns may have to come out....:). Turbo up my broom for sure. Thanks to you all....:)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe if @JeepCares takes a look at this they can figure it out. I will be wanting part number ect to make sure they just don't try to spray it over with the touch up. So wrong to wait five months for this. First it was the dealer never turned it in....they admitted it....now its did you finally do it....what is the problem. So pissed...not my first bad experience with dealers in my area...nor with FCA. By far the worse customer service ever....dealer and FCA. Got out of my 2016....had to trade for another Jeep due to the Carfax no one would touch on the 2016....still now issues with this one including a possible rear brake use....that is on another post. I want my 1997 4.0 back....so less problems. Never had to deal with FCA to boot.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm not trying to find excuses for FCA, but I think this rust incidence clearly falls under the "it's a Jeep thing" category. It is part of minor nuisances of Jeep ownership with plenty of smiles on the other side of the scale. So why worry about it?

E.g. like you, I found a few bolts on the suspension that, unlike all others, stand out by being clearly not galvanized and rust away at a alarming fast pace (mind we are in Southern California). I put some grease over them and forgot about them.

Enjoy the bright side.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I would have let the dealer wire brush and repaint both of them. Then when I got it home, I would wipe them down and give them a good coating of Rustoleum Semi Gloss Black. It is after all a frame item.

One of the nice things about my TJ bumpers, when they get a little ragged, I can un bolt them, wipe them down, repaint them and put them back on and they look great.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would have let the dealer wire brush and repaint both of them. Then when I got it home, I would wipe them down and give them a good coating of Rustoleum Semi Gloss Black. It is after all a frame item.

One of the nice things about my TJ bumpers, when they get a little ragged, I can un bolt them, wipe them down, repaint them and put them back on and they look great.
I would have truly let them do just that if it was not a powdered coated piece to begin with. Powder coating being baked on is way more durable then paint. I spent 16 years working with powder coating, lets just say I wish I could afford to do the whole body. Did the tale gate off my fathers ford, it out lasted the rest of the truck. Sold it when we junked the truck...LOL.

Again I would not be so pressed on getting it taken care of back to spec if it was just not two weeks off the lot.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not trying to find excuses for FCA, but I think this rust incidence clearly falls under the "it's a Jeep thing" category. It is part of minor nuisances of Jeep ownership with plenty of smiles on the other side of the scale. So why worry about it?

E.g. like you, I found a few bolts on the suspension that, unlike all others, stand out by being clearly not galvanized and rust away at a alarming fast pace (mind we are in Southern California). I put some grease over them and forgot about them.

Enjoy the bright side.

I agree with ya to a point. But when you purchase something an within two weeks it starts to rust due to machine oil being left on prior to powder coating....sorry they need to repair it the right way. Not just a band aid that has to be done every few months. Between AEV and FCA they should stand behind the product. An the dealer should stop dragging there feet on the repair.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts