Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have half doors with soft tops (for the doors), and then a soft top bestop. I took the top off when I first got it, and I'm wondering if I didn't put it back on properly? My doors don't completely align with the top, as you can see in the picture, there is a gaping (not really gaping, but it makes a difference when its 32 degrees outside) hole. Does anybody else have a setup like this, with this problem? Does anybody know what type of bestop this is? I'm a little confused at what options I have with it, as somebody mentioned I should be able to fold the top down without taking the whole top off? I also have a top that came with plastic door mounts (like an L shape), and then mesh sides, I have yet to put this on the jeep because I got it in October, I know this is vague, but anybody have an idea what type of top that is? Also, does anybody know what this switch is for, located down under my windshield wiper switch on the dash?

Also, I'm interested in the tops for the jeep that only cover the front 2 seats, have a window behind them, and then a cover for over the back seat... anybody know the name of these, used them, liked them?

Pictures below of what's mentioned in the post:

The gap!

The Switch!

Without the top!

·
Registered
225 Posts
The L shaped things are door surrounds. Put them on and the gap will disappear. The surrounds create a seal to the top of the door. I don't know what the switch is for, if it's not anything on it you already have an accessory switch for some kind of future mod.
I have a mesh bikini top that covers the front cab only. Excellent in Louisiana summers. Not cooking in direct sunlight but still just like being wide open.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I could be wrong on this, but it looks to me that you have the Bestop door surrounds installed... they're metal... at least the ones that came with my Bestop are. They may never seal perfectly with the half doors and soft top windows.

I had a Bikini/Windjammer/Tonneau combination before getting my Bestop Sunrider. I liked the style, but it was a lot more work to put on and take off. Here in the northwest, when sudden rain storms come up, I decided that just wasn't feasible.

There are several different types of these so try to check them all out in person before choosing. I had the full Mopar set, and I felt that the full length header (where it attaches to the windshield frame) was a poor design. There was no way to store it in the Jeep because it was as wide as the whole vehicle. I actually cut the header in half to allow it to be folded in half and stored in the Jeep.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
The switch isn't a factory switch and could be for anything but was most likely for aftermarket fog/driving lights

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could be wrong on this, but it looks to me that you have the Bestop door surrounds installed... they're metal... at least the ones that came with my Bestop are. They may never seal perfectly with the half doors and soft top windows..
I think you're right. Can I put the door surrounds for the other top on with this top? Like I said, I haven't even put the other top on, its just been rolled up sitting in a corner. Also, it looks like the door surrounds should have come with some hardware, just some bolts maybe? Any idea where I can get those?

Here is a pic of the surrounds I have. I have the L shape, another plastic length, and then one... what looks like a rubber seal or something (according to a quick google search it may be the rear bar seal?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290460996373

Pick of mine:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think you're right. Can I put the door surrounds for the other top on with this top?
I doubt they'd work for the Bestop, but there's little risk in setting them in place to see how they measure up.

Also, it looks like the door surrounds should have come with some hardware, just some bolts maybe? Any idea where I can get those?
Yes, the hard plastic door surrounds should have 4 long bolts with knobs on the ends to turn them by hand. These bolts pass through the door surround at the top, through the sport bar, and then thread back into the bottom of the door surround (if I remember correctly). The Bestop door surrounds may have something similar, and if so, might work on the Mopar ones.

BTW, I can't tell what those extra pieces are... may not be something I had on the first soft top I had (Mopar Bikini/Windjammer/Tonneau).

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think you're right. Can I put the door surrounds for the other top on with this top? Like I said, I haven't even put the other top on, its just been rolled up sitting in a corner. Also, it looks like the door surrounds should have come with some hardware, just some bolts maybe? Any idea where I can get those?

Here is a pic of the surrounds I have. I have the L shape, another plastic length, and then one... what looks like a rubber seal or something (according to a quick google search it may be the rear bar seal?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290460996373

Pick of mine:
there should be two big plastic screws on the roll bar in the front each side. you just unscrew them, insert the bottom of the surrounds into the holes near the striker first then clip them onto the rollbars. then you screw the big screws back in.
if your rear bar doesnt have a seal, then you need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts