Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
2012 JKU, 34,000 miles - got a tick that I've just noticed but doesnt seem to be the cylinder problem. Used a stethoscope and found it comes from the area highlighted in the picture below and sounds like a sewing machine. Any thoughts? Should I be concerned?
On a side note- I dont remember if I ever had an engine cover or not. I've noticed some people do and some people don't? Am I missing out?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
yes you should have an engine cover. the dealer left mine off during one oil change - they probably have it.

are you sure it's not injector noise?

how do you know you don't have the ticking cylinder head problem? have you had it replaced? someone else just hit about 30k and had his head fail, so you could be in the same boat. 34k would be the most mileage without a reported problem.

the pentastar tick can sound like a sewing machine, but it looks like yours is on the passenger side?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know for sure what it is or isn't , but the tick isnt coming from the block, just from this structure beside

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
perhaps take a video and post it here, or look on youtube for ticking pentastars to compare yours. The tick comes from the heads, which are the structures to the left and right of the pile of plastic in the middle.

either way, if you're concerned, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last oil change- 3 weeks ago - I asked the dealer to check into it. Of course they said no issue but I could use a 300 dollar induction system clean out...... Too rich for my blood

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
hmm sounds odd. It doesn't sound like a regular tick. Some wranglers had issues with spark plugs or the tube cracking and producing a ticking-like noise. Not sure if it's worth asking them to check the plugs? They're supposed to be very delicate and easy to break.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
fuel injectors

·
Registered
67 Posts
it looks like your red box is showing the fuel injectors and they will tick no matter what and on 3.6l, they are pretty noisy. That is why they have engine covers.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
OP racking up the miles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would concure with the injector diagnostic.

Not in the same area as the classic PentaTick. Injectors are super noisy on my Penta, but not as noisy on on my Honda Fit, thought something was wrong with the valvetrain it was so loud.

Oh yeah, try to find your shrowd, cleans up the engine bay, IMHO

·
Registered
283 Posts
They get these motors running so smooth and quiet that now we hear all the ancillary noise, injectors, belts, bearings and assorted whirligigs.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Injector noise is very prevalent on these things, as is the more normal valvetrain and accessory drive clatter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts