Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tinkering with the Jeep when I noticed this.....

ForumRunner_20121117_145013.jpg

Its on the front Dana 30 axle. By the right tire. It has a wire coming out of it and its cut.

I have no clue what it is, I was told these are vaccum for the 4x4.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Yes you are correct and the wires that were cut go to the 4X4 light pon the instrument cluster top of the steering wheel just for an indicator light.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
joshpowell16 said:
Here's the other side. I don't see vacuum wires anywhere.
Looks like someone installed a bolt onto the cad housing. Locking your shift fork over permanently. They must have cut the wires and took out the vacuum lines, since they are no longer needed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my front axle is engaged? Will that hurt anything? Cause I drive it down the highway 60-70 MPH.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked up the parts....so basically that a cheap posi-lok lol except I can disengage it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You'll need to pull that cover off to see if it's locked or not. No you will not do any damage to your jeep by having it locked. Mine is locked.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay...ill pull it off tomorrow. How would I know if its engaged? I'm assuming the "fork" should be positioned....to one side or the other?

·
Registered
523 Posts
The fork and collar should be to the driver side and I did this mod a few weeks ago and no problems and the 4wd works amazing

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Thnx. While I'm asking about axles.....my rear axle has what feels to be a spool...or.welded. it howls.n chirps when I turn corners. Is that gonna break anything inside the axle when I drive it on the street. I will check to c if its actually welded or spooled when I get some money to replace the fluids and gasket and maybe a nice different cover.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Depending if its welded and who did it it could break and im not sure what spooled means but I would take a look at it and if you don't do to much off roading I would replace it I used to drift and had a welded diff and a lot of people I know had welded and they sucked driving and didn't last to long

·
Registered
36 Posts
What mod are you talking about, how did you essentially bypass the vacuum canister deal on the axle? And when doing so that makes it all the time 4 wheel drive?

·
Registered
112 Posts
What mod are you talking about, how did you essentially bypass the vacuum canister deal on the axle? And when doing so that makes it all the time 4 wheel drive?
Nope, it's not full time four wheel drive, it's just your front axle is live. Your transfer case is disengaged, so you aren't putting power to the front.

It's a pretty simple mod, and is very common. I'll post a link in a few mins.

·
Registered
523 Posts
redneck1984 said:
Look at the stickies coyote did a write up about it and no it makes it like a tj axle which is essentially one piece and when you switch the xcase into 4hi or lo it puts it in 4wd and when in 2wd the front axle is just all one shaft basically

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/vacuum-shift-motor-inexpensive-fix-w-pics-127405.html

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ha ha! Beat ya too it:whistling:

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's pretty cool, so it also eliminates the vacuum failure possibility while out on the trail? That's really cool, thank you guys.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts