Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
The WAR DEPARTMENT and I are getting ready to possibly enter the JK world from a long stretch in the TJ world. I'm used to getting anywhere from 9 to 15 on the TJs we've owned but, all of them have been modified, lifted, tires, wheels, and all that. The newer engines, as in the 3.6L in the '12s through the '14s are rated at 17 and 21, according to "fueleconomy.gov" The '15 and '16, for some odd reason, same engine and trans, are rated at 16 and 20.

We just looked at an ad from a local Jeep dealer and, in the pictures of that jeep, one shows the dash with the speedo and the tach. In the LCD window in the speedo, it states: Ave MPG, 11.8 mpg, hmmmmmm. I can see my 4.0L in my present TJ Rubicon getting that once in while because sometimes I have to use full throttle to go DOWN HILL. Just a little exaggeration there but, the point is, that motor is underpowered and, I must use a considerable amount of more throttle to get from point A to point B on the freeways sometimes.

We recently took a test drive in 2 door 2012 Rubi with about 30K on the clock and, it seemed to have pretty darn good pep. The owner claims some great mileage, on a fairly often basis.

So, I'm asking for some HONEST answers here. If you have a near-bone-stock 2012 and up, with the 3.6L, (I suppose they all have that engine from '12 and up), what is your average, best, worst, daily mileage? I sure appreciate your help here.

On the side, I know and realize that Jeeps, just about any and all of them, since the beginning of time, were NOT DESIGNED FOR GAS MILEAGE. They get what they get. But, I'd like to hear from REAL USERS, not salesmen or, what the Government SAYS they're SUPPOSED TO GET!
Scott

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Wife got around 18 average (according to the computer) when stock, she sits at 16.9 now with 2.5" lift and 315/70/17. Tire is a light 315 duratrac.
2016, 2 door auto with 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Currently getting mid 17's in my 2013 JKU A5, with 2" lift, 4.56's, 35" BFG KO2's and extra 400lbs of weight, 70% fwy, 30% city, 70mph with cruise control when on the fwy, all measured the old fashion way.

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
Mixed driving according to the computer is 19.5. 2016 JK Rubicon, all stock, driven easy. Oh yea 4.10 gears, A/T.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
2-door Rubi. Getting between 17.5 and 19 real mileage as calculated via miles driven and gallons used between fill ups, not what the computer says. That is with 2.5" lift, 35" KO2s, 250+ lbs of steel skids, steel bumpers and winch. Varies depending on how much off roading in 4Lo that I do.

I run with no back seat and soft top except for winter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
On my 2016 2-door sport w/6 speed manual transmission, doing mixed driving, I’m getting 19.5 - 20.5 MPG (according to the computer). I've got the "S" package with 17” x 7.5” aluminum wheels and P255/75R17 on/off-road tires pressurized to a bouncy 39PSI.

·
Registered
88 Posts
2015 Sahara mostly stock JKU w/ 7,500 miles and I average 16 - 17 mpg per the computer. Mix of city and highway in hilly Philly burbs. I always average on the lower side of the manufacturers gas mileage ranges and Jeep is no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Stock 2016 JKU Sport S, auto, 3.21 gears. Been keeping a spreadsheet since the first fill up. My overall average is 17.3 mpg right now. Numbers per fill-up have ranged from 16.4 to 18.9 mpg. Lately when I click through the EVIC to look, the computer says anywhere from 17 to 18.something. I haven't reset it in a while, but it doesn't seem to be calculating an overall average since the last time I reset it.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I just got my '15 2-dr Rubicon about 6 weeks ago...used, with 6,800 miles on it. I'm not fanatical about checking every tank for gas millage but my latest in-town tank was 16.8 mpg and I think the best I ever got on an extended highway trip was 17.2 .....and that was doing about 75 - 80 mph on a10 hour trip.

This is with stock tires and only a little 2"spacer lift on the front end.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Stock 2016 Willys 3.73 gears runs between 16-19 mpg. On the 4 lane highway at 70 mph runs around 17. When we get on the two lane and run 55-60 mph we get 19. The rpm are about 400 less by dropping 10 mph and makes a big difference in fuel economy.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
2016 JKU Hard Rock, hard top, 3.5" lift with RK arms (8), 35" tires, LED's and I have a few hundred pounds of extra stuff (see build thread for list of everything) with 4.10 gears I get about 16.5 on the highway and 14.5 city. But who really cares about mileage, with Jeeps it smiles per gallon.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
What we get and what you get could be 4 to 5 mpg different....
depending on how fast I want to drive, it could be 11 mpg or really, REALLY ez, maybe 18 - but I really don't pay attention to it, because I got it for particular purpose and mpg was not the purpose :)
anyway, we all drive differently and use the vehicle in different ways.

also, IMHO, the 2012 and up are under powered as well, especially with any type of wheel/tire upgrade, and if there is no corresponding change to the revs per mile of the tire then the mpg calcs will be off as well...

I belong to a lot of rv forums and people really ask what mpg rv's get !!!
They are driving HOUSES and mpg should be the last consideration :)

if you want a jeep, get one, if you want mpg, get an econobox - good luck !

·
Registered
581 Posts
2015 JKU Sport S, 3.73, auto.

Computer usually hovers around 21mpg, but it is about 1mpg high compared to hand calculations.

I do most of my driving on a fairly flat run +/- 60mph with no stop signs or lights.

When I drive the interstate at +75mph or a lot of runs up and down the steep mountain towns it drops to about 18mpg, maybe less.

·
Registered
130 Posts
2dr Rubicon in the 19 range mixed driving. Keeping the tach in the green zone around town seems to help. It would get in the 15s if I keep the tach around 12 o'clock or more most of the time.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I get a solid 19 and change; 50/50 city/highway, very rarely over 65mph on highway, and spirited driving in city, not counting any off roading. FWIW, I do have a manual, 33s and been running the Superchips 87 Performance tune.

My anecdotal observations of others suggests a bone stock 3.73 axle on 32s should do 20mpg, mixed driving (near the speed limit), no problem. I think you can expect to take off 1mpg for every inch of tire added, and 1mpg for each step lower gear ratio.

If you granny it, all highway, never over 55mph, you can probably see 21mpg. Never any better than that, unless you go downhill both ways.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Its all how you drive. I have the 3:21 gears lifted with 33s. My first few months after the lift I was getting 17-18. After I dipped down into the 16s I adjusted my driving. I took it easy from stops and I tried to coast more in traffic. I wasn't a granny with my speed though. Usually do the speed limit to +5 and 70-75mph on the highway. I get about 19.3 mpg right now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I drive a 2016 JKU Sahara. A few months ago I averaged ~15 because my job site was in DC, but now that I moved into the office and its right off the highway, I'm getting 18+

1 - 20 of 269 Posts