Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
You may want to qualify with a budget. The "best" is somewhat subjective though most would like agree that a selectable is preferable to an lunchbox style. There is a vast price range out there.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
The very best locker for a daily driver is a selectable, one that can be kept off until needed offroad. Of the several available selectable lockers, I strongly believe that the very best one is the ARB Air Locker which is a favorite among those with the $$$ to buy & install it. You're probably looking at $1100 or so to install the first one which includes an air compressor, $900 or so for the second which can share the air compressor.

And what locker can be installed into what axle also depends on what your axles are. If your rear axle is the standard Dana 35c, it's not strong enough for a locker so your first locker should go into your front axle... where there'd be no real need to spend the $$$ for a selectable like the ARB Air Locker, a cheaper automatic lunchbox locker could be installed.

What rear axle do you have?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The very best locker for a daily driver is a selectable, one that can be kept off until needed offroad. Of the several available selectable lockers, I strongly believe that the very best one is the ARB Air Locker which is a favorite among those with the $$$ to buy & install it. You're probably looking at $1100 or so to install the first one which includes an air compressor, $900 or so for the second which can share the air compressor.

And what locker can be installed into what axle also depends on what your axles are. If your rear axle is the standard Dana 35c, it's not strong enough for a locker so your first locker should go into your front axle... where there'd be no real need to spend the $$$ for a selectable like the ARB Air Locker, a cheaper automatic lunchbox locker could be installed.

What rear axle do you have?
Thanx for the info guys ! I have a Dana 35 believe it has c clip never been inside it to know , so your saying this lunchbox style locker what is that exactly ? And I can throw that in the front axle without the rear being locked ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may want to qualify with a budget. The "best" is somewhat subjective though most would like agree that a selectable is preferable to an lunchbox style. There is a vast price range out there.
Ok so this lunchbox style locker, does it lock when needed would I be chirping tires when turning in parking lots for example or hard left or right turns ?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
A lunchbox locker in the front axle of a Wrangler TJ is not noticeable, steering-wise, when you're in 2wd. At the most, most lunchbox lockers make a clicking/ratcheting sound when making turns. At the least, the Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker doesn't even do that, it is click-free in turns. At least I couldn't hear mine click.

I had a front-mounted Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker in my previous TJ & I honestly couldn't even tell it was there until I shifted into 4Hi or 4Lo. In 2wd on the street, it was totally benign & extremely well behaved... you wouldn't know it was there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lunchbox locker in the front axle of a Wrangler TJ is not noticeable, steering-wise, when you're in 2wd. At the most, most make a clicking/ratcheting sound when making turns. At the least, the Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker doesn't even do that, it is click-free in turns.

I had a front-mounted Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker in my previous TJ & I honestly couldn't even tell it was there until I shifted into 4Hi or 4Lo. In 2wd on the street, it was totally benign & extremely well behaved... you wouldn't know it was there.
Thanx Jerry this is great ive been outta the country for a while so im wanting to treat myself so would you recommend the power Trax did you have any problems with it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not sure if it applies to you, but a locked front axle isn't ideal if you drive your jeep in snow. So if you do, you may want to go with a selectable.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
I never had any problems with the Powertrax No-Slip, I loved it. Powertrax also makes the Lockrite automatic lunchbox locker which is similar but it clicks in the turns. If you don't mind a bit of clicking/ratcheting in the turns, the Lockrite would be a good choice with equally benign/well behaved steering in 2wd. One more choice in the latter category of automatic lunchbox locker that is well behaved but clicks/ratchets a little in turns is the Aussie locker. All behave the same in 2wd, it's just that most have a little clicking during turns, only the No-Slip which costs about $100 more doesn't click. For a $100 savings over the click-free No-Slip, an Aussie or Lockrite would be a good choice too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure if it applies to you, but a locked front axle isn't ideal if you drive your jeep in snow. So if you do, you may want to go with a selectable.
Nope no snow in Georgia or California for the most part hah. Why is that though?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
An automatic locker requires a certain amount of friction/traction on the road surface so it can unlock as required for turns. Slick icy or snow-covered road surfaces may not have enough traction for that to happen.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An automatic locker requires a certain amount of friction/traction on the road surface so it can unlock as required for turns. Slick icy or snow-covered road surfaces may not have enough traction for that to happen.
Thanx a lot I'm gonna really consider this ill let ya know if I do and how it works out !!

·
Registered
817 Posts
how about a gear based LSD in the front and a selectable locker in the back

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
LSD = limited slip differential. Having run front & rear Detroit Truetrac gear-based limited slip differentials many years ago, they are next to useless offroad unless both tires on the axle are in firm contact with the trail... which when you're offroading is not going to be the case except on the easy parts.

I got sick of my Truetrac LSDs doing next to nothing for me offroad & replaced them both with true lockers. LSDs are great on paved roads, lockers are great offroad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts