Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m in the market for a set of 4.10a front and rear for my 89 yj 4.2 with 33” tires. I would have preferred 3.73 gears but my understanding is the axle swap will be much cheaper than gearing change.

I know my 89 has a high pinion reverse cut differential- the question is do *all* Dana axles also have this? I’m seeing a few I’d like to pick up but I don’t want to get the wrong ones. Will *any* yj 4.10 axle fit in my 89 or am I looking for specific years?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it’s the “enhanced mobile version” of this site. I hate it. It’s hardly advanced and just problematic. EVERY time I come to the site I have to remember to turn it off

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
All YJ axles will work...

87-89 don't have c clips in the rear and have larger diameter narrower rear brakes...
90-95 do have c clips and have the smaller but wider rear brakes...

ALL of the parts will interchange tho so you can set up your replacement axle however you choose.

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
What's with all the symbols it really makes your posts so hard to read
I think that happens when the poster uses his phone rather than a desktop or laptop.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
In most instances an axle swap is cheaper than swapping gears.
For the rear axle, a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer (in 4:10) is a popular and stronger swap. It's not a straight across swap and involves some minor cutting and welding, but with your 33" tires it's something for you to look into.

I'd prefer the 4:10s to the 3:73 any day. I have a set of 4:10s from a 4 cyl. YJ ready to swap as soon as I heal up from back surgery. I could have had a set of 3:55 axles for free to replace my current 3:07s, but I spent the dough for the 4:10s.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
908 Posts
So I'm in the market for a set of 4.10's front and rear for my 89 YJ 4.2 with 33"� tires. I would have preferred 3.73 gears but my understanding is the axle swap will be much cheaper than gearing change.

I know my 89 has a high pinion reverse cut differential the question is do all Dana axles also have this? I'm seeing a few I'd like to pick up but I don't want to get the wrong ones. Will any YJ 4.10 axle fit in my 89 or am I looking for specific years?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
Fixed it for you

The Dana 30 in the front is a high pinion, the Dana 35 in the rear is not. Any YJ housings with 4.10 gears will work just fine, these are commonly found in 4 cylinder YJ's with a 5-speed manual transmission.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sorry it’s the “enhanced mobile version” of this site. I hate it. It’s hardly advanced and just problematic. EVERY time I come to the site I have to remember to turn it off
no problem you'll want axles out of a 4cyl yj as they have 4.10 gears

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Found a few options for 4.10 yj axles I’m probably going to pull the trigger on.

It looks like I’d be pulling about 2200 rpms in fifth gear at 65 mph with 33” tires. Can anyone verify my math? Sounds like they’d be perfect if correct

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Sounds about right, that’s my setup

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Found a few options for 4.10 yj axles I’m probably going to pull the trigger on.

It looks like I’d be pulling about 2200 rpms in fifth gear at 65 mph with 33” tires. Can anyone verify my math? Sounds like they’d be perfect if correct
4.10 is the minimum good gear for a 4.0 5 speed and 33's... I run em and they work well but MANY folks prefer 4.56's

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
4.10 is the minimum good gear for a 4.0 5 speed and 33's... I run em and they work well but MANY folks prefer 4.56's
GottaGo's 4.0 may like his 4.10's, but my 4.2 was a little doggy on the freeway with 33's, pretty much lost the use of 5th gear. I downsized to 31's and gained the ability to pass slow moving trucks etc. , If your going to be on the freeway a lot or do many hills, I'd lean towards 4.56. Off pavement the 33"s were fine with 4.10's on the 4.2. I still have enough pep to run 32's, but I won't go back to 33"s with the 4.2. YMMV

Reactions: rushwal

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
8.8 rear axle swap and gear ratio upgrade to 4.88 brought my anemic 4 cyl. back to life. I can actually use 5th gear now

·
Registered
712 Posts
Here I am on 4.88's and 35"s regretting not going to 5.38's (at least the V8 and Atlas will help) :)

Seriously though, both the 4.0 and 4.2 are quite doggy on 4.10's and 33" tires (and the 2.5 is just plain pitiful). I know person after person will tell you that "they're fine" and it "runs great", but I suggest you take that with a grain of salt and ideally find someone from your local Jeep club with a similar setup and ask for a ride. Then try to find one with better gearing and compare the two.

Performance is subjective and the majority of people who off-road and are into Jeeps generally have NOT driven a properly geared rig. Most simply deal with the lack of proper torque multiplication, often due to the costs associated with the gear change.

@SlyJJ - living in PA, the land of "rolling hills" and plenty of muddy creek beds to play in, wheel speed and torque multiplication are your friend. I'd greatly consider 4.56's to be the minimum for 33" tires and 4.88's as the ideal ratio.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Living in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains I run 5.13's with 33's on my 4.0 TJ 5sp @55mph = about 2300 rpm @70 = just shy of 3000rpm. Yeah, it may be a bit too low of a gear, but I like it as a trail rig.

Wranglers are not race cars

Reactions: pc1p
1 - 15 of 15 Posts