Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have a Tools section on this forum so I figured I'd just post this in General Discussion.

I am looking at a pistol grip manual grease guns to grease Zerk fitting-equipped items on my 2001 TJ.

1) What grease gun are you using?

2) What grease are you using?

3) Do you use multiple grease guns with different grease (conventional and synthetic?)

I was looking at the Lincoln Lubrication LIN-1134 - Grease Gun link at Amazon

and a LockNLube Zerk fitting coupler - LockNLube link at Amazon

The manufacturer of my tie rod ends recommended "Any good quality chassis grease can be used to lubricate these parts."

I have no idea where to start on grease. Do wheel bearings take different grease than tie rods and ball joints?

Education and opinions welcome.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,301 Posts
We don't have a Tools section on this forum so I figured I'd just post this in General Discussion.

I am looking at a pistol grip manual grease guns to grease Zerk fitting-equipped items on my 2001 TJ.

1) What grease gun are you using?

2) What grease are you using?

3) Do you use multiple grease guns with different grease (conventional and synthetic?)

I was looking at the Lincoln Lubrication LIN-1134 - Grease Gun link at Amazon

and a LockNLube Zerk fitting coupler - LockNLube link at Amazon

The manufacturer of my tie rod ends recommended "Any good quality chassis grease can be used to lubricate these parts."

I have no idea where to start on grease. Do wheel bearings take different grease than tie rods and ball joints?

Education and opinions welcome.
Interested in this too - greasing JKS Quicker Disconnects and MORryde tailgate hinges. Currently using some red grease and a grease gun which emits grease from just about every orifice except the Zerk fitting :(

Reactions: Mr.Maim

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I use a Performance Tool pistol grip grease gun. It's their "professional" product, cost me $15. https://m.summitracing.com/parts/wm...lkpAdH79gbWhNxJgotJ_8m4obD06qh5waAooXEALw_wcB

I actually like the grease gun, it works well. Don't get lever action, only get pistol grip grease guns. I have both kinds and the lever action requires three hands...

I use Lucas Oil Heavy Duty Farm grease. It's the green grease. It is a good balance of all the different properties in a grease. Good for high speed bearings, doesn't break down as easy in heat, and good moisture properties.

Greases can pretty much be categorized by their color. Green, red, blue, white, and the "cheap" ones.

Reactions: Mr.Maim

·
Registered
370 Posts
What MudMagnetYJ said. I had both a lever unit and a pistol/squeeze grip grease gun. It literally DOES take 3 hands to operate the lever unit. Someone stole my pistol grip gun from the farm.

I only use Mystik JT-6 in my grease guns. Grease types are like oil types, they'll all do the job. Any grease is better than no grease, but opinions are like arm pits.

Compatibility with other grease types which have been used can be a concern with any type of grease you choose. Check and compare with OEM and any aftermarket grease types which have been used before committing to any particular grease.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I can definitely tell a difference in cheap vs quality grease. With the autozone special, my tie rod boots would be flat in a week. The Lucas grease lasts three months. Granted, my tie rod end boots aren't the best, but that's still a big difference.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I used to use Lucas red n tacky on everything just because it's easy to find. But when i looked it up on bobistheoilguy.com they did not have very nice things to say about it. They seem to recommend Amsoil grease so the next time i buy a tube i am going to buy Amsoil it's only like $3 more than the Lucas stuff.

Reactions: jonlandrum

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have 7 different grease guns, 4 full size, some with hose and others with the rigid tube.
2 'compact' guns, and a mini thumb button type. Different tips and grease in them. It's overkill, but convenient. I wrap colored zip ties on them to show what grease is in each.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hanging on the rim of a 5-gallon bucket to catch and dripping/sweating from the tube as my shop is not heated or cooled, other than by Mother Nature.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quite a few good suggestions so far. I see that I'll probably end up owning a few grease guns. So far a couple mentions of Lucas and one Royal Purple, Mystic, and Amsoil.

Is everyone using the default Zerk connector that comes with your grease gun or are you getting better ones and replacing the stock fitting?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have a 1x2 screwed to the studs in the shed with a length of rain gutter below that, set the end in the gutter and hook the handle over the board.
All the drips end up in the rain gutter, always have access to a little grease when I need to grease something up.

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
Being a bodyman, I rarely had a need for a grease gun so I bought what was available when I needed one (lever style). MM is correct. The lever style requires 3 hands.

I guess tomorrow I'll go to my local auto parts store and get a pistol grip type. Since I got religion I've been looking for reasons to not cuss. Getting rid of my old lever style grease gun will help me to not cuss.

Good Luck, L.M.

P.S.....No, I'm not getting rid of my Jeep. I don't want to stop cussing that bad.

Reactions: Primate and Mr.Maim

·
Registered
79 Posts
Guns and tubes should be stored in the vertical position. The key is frequent greasing, even a crappy grease will do fine if you apply it frequently. It’s as important to push out contaminants (sand/grit/etc.) as it is for the grease to act as a lubricant.

You’ll note many greases have synthetic oils and these ones will be a little more expensive.

For chassis and suspension type stuff look for a #2 type. Whether synthetic or not is up to you.

I am using Lucas oil red n’ tacky #2 on my jeep and it works well. I like the colored greases as it’s easier to tell between fresh grease and the dark contaminated grease. It’s also just easier to see as you apply it and it squirts out the joint or whatever.

At work we use the shell gadus line of grease and they are fantastic. Just that they aren’t available to the average consumer. In some of our hotter locations like Austin, Texas we use the Mystic products (red) and they seem to be a little tackier and hold their place better in the hot temperatures.

I’d recommend a grease that you can find easily and repeatedly in your area. Even more importantly, use it often! At least every oil change at a minimum.

If you take your car somewhere for oil changes, either bring your gun for them to use or tell them not to grease. Guys at jiffy lube, etc. will often grease what they see and think they are doing you a favor (kind of are) and end up mixing greases. Not the end of the world though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guns and tubes should be stored in the vertical position. The key is frequent greasing, even a crappy grease will do fine if you apply it frequently. It’s as important to push out contaminants (sand/grit/etc.) as it is for the grease to act as a lubricant.

You’ll note many greases have synthetic oils and these ones will be a little more expensive.

For chassis and suspension type stuff look for a #2 type. Whether synthetic or not is up to you.

I am using Lucas oil red n’ tacky #2 on my jeep and it works well. I like the colored greases as it’s easier to tell between fresh grease and the dark contaminated grease. It’s also just easier to see as you apply it and it squirts out the joint or whatever.

At work we use the shell gadus line of grease and they are fantastic. Just that they aren’t available to the average consumer. In some of our hotter locations like Austin, Texas we use the Mystic products (red) and they seem to be a little tackier and hold their place better in the hot temperatures.

I’d recommend a grease that you can find easily and repeatedly in your area. Even more importantly, use it often! At least every oil change at a minimum.

If you take your car somewhere for oil changes, either bring your gun for them to use or tell them not to grease. Guys at jiffy lube, etc. will often grease what they see and think they are doing you a favor (kind of are) and end up mixing greases. Not the end of the world though
Excellent post and great information! Thank you for the recommendations, I had not considered my average environmental temperature being hotter (Arizona) as something to consider when choosing a grease but that makes darn good sense!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Subscribing, good info!

·
Registered
2002 TJ. 4.0 ltr. 5.5 RE long arm lift, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, Teraflex S/T disconnect,
513 Posts
I bough the pneumatic continuous feed gun from harbor freight. It was a pita to bleed and get grease to start flowing, but now I love it. With adjustable control arms, etc I have close to 25-30 zerks, so the gun is great.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Husky Pneumatic grease gun with green marine grease. One push of the button and it gives you enough to fill a ball joint. Typically hit it twice on control arms.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I only use "lever" grease guns. Keep 3 different style ends on mine, plus have several more different styled ends. Prefer the levers to pistol grip and have always used my own manual guns as opposed to air/hydraulic ones. I prefer a H.D. power grease end to a manual one. If your ends fit loose on a zerk they can be taken apart and cleaned or put new "jaws" in. Most of the time its just dirt. I use EP2 multi purpose grease and synthetic grease. I also use lubriplate a lot when rebuilding stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts