Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about a 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sports edition with a 4.0l v6 5speed manual, but not sure if its completely what I'm looking for. I have a 97 jeep wrangler TJ 2.5l 5speed but it just doesn't have the power there. Basically what I'm looking for is

Fast
Powerful
Sounds nice
Gets good/decent gas
Can take mud and hills well
Must be manual, jeeps that are auto take the fun out ;)

If that describes a sport, anyone that has experience or knows about them, whats the best year for the sport? I hear the 97-99 edition but I have no clue

·
Registered
261 Posts
You probably don't wan't a Jeep. I don't know of any that are fast and powerful, or gets good MPG.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
He clearly wants a v8...

Hah, probably the best year is 2000. Engine is the most powerful because emissions hadn't cracked down yet. Upgraded interior. New accessory drive, new intake.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hard to find v8s in wranglers, plus they use SO much gas specially with a jeep. My 2.5l gets like 15-19 city miles and 19-22 highway haha and that's just a four cylinder! You think the 97 Sport is worth it? I don't know to much about sports are jeeps in general haha

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try to find a jeep with full doors and a hard top. It's cheaper to buy half doors and a soft top after.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
It's hard to find v8s in wranglers, plus they use SO much gas specially with a jeep. My 2.5l gets like 15-19 city miles and 19-22 highway haha and that's just a four cylinder! You think the 97 Sport is worth it? I don't know to much about sports are jeeps in general haha
The 2.5 and the 4.0 are horribly inefficient engines. That's why they get such poor gas mileage. My swap should get me about 20mpg. Not that that's worth the swap or anything. Hah

Check kbb!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does the 4.0 get better than the 2.5? Running 2 wheel drive? (Talking city mileage here)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have a 2001 sport. It's stock, 3.73 gears, 30x9.50, 4.0. The fact is that a Jeep (just like any vehicle) is a compromise. As far as mileage goes there is good mileage for a Jeep and bad mileage for a Jeep but frankly is is pretty bad either way. Fast, well that depends on your definition. My jeep feels quick because of the torque and low gears. I don't expect to win any drag races with it though. I can run 70mph on the highway ok but at 75mph you can feel the Jeep saying "Ok that's enough!" I love it though because it gives me all the Jeep variables that no other vehicle can. You already have a jeep and if you want one that is a little more powerful get one with a 4.0. If you want all the things on your list you may not want a Jeep at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I absolutely love the jeep.. It's an amazing vehicle! I might be being a little picky, and my inexperience with jeeps might be showing, but from the stuff I watched, read about, and saw in person, I think the Sport is what I'm looking for. I'm going to look for a 97 Wrangler Sport 4.0 5speed manual. Basically by fast I mean could i keep up with regular traffic and other jeeps. The 2.5 lacks in those areas big time

·
Registered
298 Posts
I drive an 04 sport 4.0 I6 5 speed and I absolutely love it, the power hides but it's there at higher RPMs if you really need to get going and it will hit 80 on the highway with a good amount effort, I spend about 40-50 dollars every week on gas driving it everyday so it's not terrible. If you buy one you won't regret it

·
Registered
298 Posts
I usually fill up right around 1/4 tank so I run through about 3/4 tank of gas every week and I drive roughly 150-250 miles a week

·
Registered
298 Posts
Every tj is a trail rated 4x4 meaning that all wranglers have a lever next to the shifter or gear selector that can put the jeep in RWD (2wd) or 4hi and 4lo so yes, every tj has that

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
You want a sports car and a jeep for off road

If buying a TJ
#1 RUST FREE no frame damage
#2 4.0 (sport or higher)
#3 you said must be manual so tranny already decided
#4 passes emissions as is

Lesser points
low milage
Do you want the longer LJ is so you are stuck with the German 6 spd the most emissions crap and an 05-06

If you don't need an LJ
possible problems to avoid 2000 crack prone heads

I think the easiest to work on years with least pollution crap are 97-99 but I would optimize 98-99 as there were a few issues like leaky cowl on first year of TJ

Second choice is 03-04 as you get a robust 5 spd and you have the rubicon option

If you want hard top or full doors or AC cheaper to get the jeep the way you want it don't rush look until you find what you want and if modded be sure it is mods you want

Just remember off road performance with proper gears and tires does not produce good gas mileage or sports car aceleration

1 - 20 of 75 Posts