Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a current owner of a ‘77 CJ7, which we’ve had for several years. Now, we have a one year old and I’ve struggled over the past year not being able to easily jump in the Jeep to go for a quick ride with the baby. Planning to have another baby soon, so needing to find a solution. This likely means adding another Jeep to the collection! I’m looking for recommendations on year and models of the wrangler from folks with experience. Obviously, will be in rear-facing car seats for a couple years. Not wanting anything brand new. This will not be our primary family vehicle, but something we enjoy on the several hundred acres we have access to and riding near the house. Any recommendations or experience out there? Momma is ready to enjoy the outdoors more with the babies!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I’d love to suggest something cool like a Scrambler or an LJ, but... with car seats, I think a JKU is your best option. I tried messing around with car seats and two door vehicles and that is just not something that brings joy to the experience... I guess if you are always topless and doorless my opinion may differ, but if you will have doors on and top on at least half the time then I think 4 doors are a must.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I love the 2 doors but it’s not practical for kids. Heck, I’d pack the back of my Crew Cab full of strollers, diaper bags, toys, etc. the nice thing is the kids grew up and in to the CC. Keep the CJ tho!

Reactions: acampbell40

·
Super Moderator
13,963 Posts
Before I had my Wrangler I had a Cherokee. A mildly built Cherokee is almost as agile as a mildly built Wrangler (and a whole lot more comfortable). Get a 6 cylinder. Most Cherokees are automatic but some Jeepers find that to be a good thing.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
17,085 Posts
A xj with the aw4 and 4.0 91-2001 are most practical and reliable

They do or did make aftermarket TJ hardtops with side windows that open for better rear seat access
Never cared for the aftermarket hardtops but an option

They are only to small to climb in and out on their own for a short time so if not daily driver can just deal with it in TJ till kids are bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have grandchildren now, a 2016 JKU and a 2019 Grand Cherokee. The rear facing toddler seats take up a lot of room in the back seat of both Jeeps, can’t even put the front seat all the way back with a comfortable incline when the seat is in there. Tie down points are fairly easy to access.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,963 Posts
We are a current owner of a ‘77 CJ7, which we’ve had for several years. Now, we have a one year old and I’ve struggled over the past year not being able to easily jump in the Jeep to go for a quick ride with the baby. Planning to have another baby soon, so needing to find a solution. This likely means adding another Jeep to the collection! I’m looking for recommendations on year and models of the wrangler from folks with experience. Obviously, will be in rear-facing car seats for a couple years. Not wanting anything brand new. This will not be our primary family vehicle, but something we enjoy on the several hundred acres we have access to and riding near the house. Any recommendations or experience out there? Momma is ready to enjoy the outdoors more with the babies!

Outside the box.

Remove your CJ back seat and store it in the garage.Set the car seat in the cargo area and rig up some secure tie downs. Maybe even use part of the rear seatbelts. It's difficult to suggest exactly how to do it without looking at the cargo area of a CJ. Heavy duty ratchet straps might make an ideal way to secure the kiddie seat. Load and unload little Johnnie from the tailgate. Leave enough room for a second kiddie seat, attached the same way as the first.

If you do something like this, post some pics.Once the kids are big enough for a booster seat, reinstall the rear seat. You might check to see if a family style roll bar from a 1991 & newer YJ will fit your CJ so that you can install rear shoulder belts.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
50 Posts
had my kids in my YJ ,, was very easy to put them in through the back. Used rear facing seat,, you had to leave the seat in and unbucle them.. But was way easier than the 2 door civic we also drove.

You NEED a padded roll-bar, and it needs to be the family version not the early Jeep wedge..

·
Registered
5,420 Posts

Any Jeep Grand Caravan that dealers have sold for the past 13 years. They were a big hit with soccer moms im surprised you haven't seen one. You cant swing a dead cat without hitting one here lol.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Outside the box.

Remove your CJ back seat and store it in the garage.Set the car seat in the cargo area and rig up some secure tie downs. Maybe even use part of the rear seatbelts. It's difficult to suggest exactly how to do it without looking at the cargo area of a CJ. Heavy duty ratchet straps might make an ideal way to secure the kiddie seat. Load and unload little Johnnie from the tailgate. Leave enough room for a second kiddie seat, attached the same way as the first.

If you do something like this, post some pics.Once the kids are big enough for a booster seat, reinstall the rear seat. You might check to see if a family style roll bar from a 1991 & newer YJ will fit your CJ so that you can install rear shoulder belts.

Good Luck, L.M.
I don’t know that this would be legal.

I know that Rock Hard 4x4 makes a rear-seat harness for the JK/JKU/JL etc. I think they make them for TJs too. Maybe YJs and CJs. May want to get something like that if you want an easy anchor point. You will sacrifice rear cargo space for one though.

Yeah, here is the CJ one:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.