Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to buy my first car, and I’m looking at jku’s. I love the Jeep life, I grew up in the passenger seat of my dads TJ which I’m borrowing now. I want to fit 33’s, high clearance fenders and maybe a stubby bumper down the road. But I don’t know what to do for the lift. I’ve read posts where people say BB are awful and go with springs and shocks. But I’ve also read that if your not going to do a lot of off-roading BB are fine. I live in Northern VA and I’m not going to be doing a lot of off-roading for a while. I just need something to fit 33’s and get me through those awesome backroads and very little off-roading. My main concern is dumping my wallet out into the trash, and I know that can happen with spring lifts. Somebody help!!!!

·
Retired Moderator
104,188 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you want to just run 33's and you won't be doing a lot off roading, then just put some flat fenders on it and get either new wheels or spacers to keep the bigger tires from rubbing and you will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,025 Posts
If all you want is 33's it might look a bit funny if you lift it too much. A leveling kit is about all you need to make 33's fit nicely. You can run a cheaper leveling kit that uses spacers, that will maintain the stock ride quality. Or you can run a spring based leveling kit that will use stiffer springs. You can also add better shocks if you like.
The older Jeeps, like the TJ, needed more lift to run 33" tires. The JK / JKU can run 32" tires with no lift at all. Some versions come with 32" tires stock.
For perspective, a 2.5" lift is enough to run 35" tires. So 33's can easily fit under just a leveling kit. As you go bigger with the tires, things do get more expensive. Depending on the gearing it started with you may need to regear with bigger tires. Plus the loads on the suspension and steering bits increase as tire size goes up. That means replacing parts when they wear out sooner.

·
Registered
744 Posts
For what you are looking for a BB will be fine. Rancho makes a great riding 2 inch spring kit as well that doesn't break the bank and looks great with 33s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m looking to buy my first car, and I’m looking at jku’s. I love the Jeep life, I grew up in the passenger seat of my dads TJ which I’m borrowing now. I want to fit 33’s, high clearance fenders and maybe a stubby bumper down the road. But I don’t know what to do for the lift. I’ve read posts where people say BB are awful and go with springs and shocks. But I’ve also read that if your not going to do a lot of off-roading BB are fine. I live in Northern VA and I’m not going to be doing a lot of off-roading for a while. I just need something to fit 33’s and get me through those awesome backroads and very little off-roading. My main concern is dumping my wallet out into the trash, and I know that can happen with spring lifts. Somebody help!!!!
Not sure why people say that JKU is going to look funny with 33" tires and a lift. I got 2.5"
TeraFlex lift, 17" ProComp wheels and 307/70/R17 tires. I like the look.
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/0b7W7wuvR3WfhJEtlANhrw.ldA0UvlBcA5mFKFr3hn5Xv

·
Registered
3 Posts
2.5" TeraFlex lift, 17" ProComp wheels and 307/70/R17 tires

Not sure why people say that JKU is going to look funny with 33" tires and a lift. I got 2.5"
TeraFlex lift, 17" ProComp wheels and 307/70/R17 tires. I like the look.
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/0b7W7wuvR3WfhJEtlANhrw.ldA0UvlBcA5mFKFr3hn5Xv

·
Registered
378 Posts
For 33s the fenders are all you need. Maybe a level kit for looks.
this. if you are getting the hi fenders, no need to throw money away on lifts. maybe snag some Rubicon takeoff springs and shocks if you aren't getting a Rubicon. you can pick them up for next to nothing and often for nothing at all. people give them away all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts