Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport. Went to Jiffy Lube and they said they wanted me to get semi synthetic oil or fully synthetic oil or it'll void the warranty or some other stuff. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Of course a shop that isn't reputable would say that, and I use the word shop loosely for a Jiffy Lube. You can use conventional oil if you prefer. Quick oil change businesses are notorious for stripping drain plugs, adding incorrect fluids for top offs, using incorrect filters and not properly filling the crankcase, to name a few problems. If you prefer not to do it yourself find a private shop, or even a dealer would be better. Some dealers practically give away oil changes to get you in the door. Also, check your manual. You can go to the Chrysler /Jeep web site and review/download a complete copy.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,037 Posts
Of course a shop that isn't reputable would say that, and I use the word shop loosely for a Jiffy Lube. You can use conventional oil if you prefer. Quick oil change businesses are notorious for stripping drain plugs, adding incorrect fluids for top offs, using incorrect filters and not properly filling the crankcase, to name a few problems. If you prefer not to do it yourself find a private shop, or even a dealer would be better. Some dealers practically give away oil changes to get you in the door. Also, check your manual. You can go to the Chrysler /Jeep web site and review/download a complete copy.
^^^This!!!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just purchased my first filters and oil this week. I went with Mobil 1 5w 20 dino not synthetic. My understanding is the first few thousand miles should be dino and you can go synthetic after that. If I am wrong I am sure someone will let me know.:happyyes:

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,037 Posts
I just purchased my first filters and oil this week. I went with Mobil 1 5w 20 dino not synthetic. My understanding is the first few thousand miles should be dino and you can go synthetic after that. If I am wrong I am sure someone will let me know.:happyyes:
^^^You are correct on the dino oil!!!!!!
Is Mobile 1 approved by Chrysler/Jeep for usage in your wrangler engine???

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Get-
the prescribed viscosity in conventional OR synthetic OR blend as long as it meets the Chrysler standard as spelled out in your owners manual.
It can be changed over at any time, many vehicles come New from the factory with full synthetic. You can switch brands and type of oil from change to change as well.
Don't believe Most of what you hear and read about "oil changes" regurgitated crap and misinformation.
We ALL have our regimen when it comes to oil changes (me included) doesn't make it gospel.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Get-
the prescribed viscosity in conventional OR synthetic OR blend as long as it meets the Chrysler standard as spelled out in your owners manual.
It can be changed over at any time, many vehicles come New from the factory with full synthetic. You can switch brands and type of oil from change to change as well.
Don't believe Most of what you hear and read about "oil changes" regurgitated crap and misinformation.
We ALL have our regimen when it comes to oil changes (me included) doesn't make it gospel.
Agreed.

And if you do it yourself, keep receipts and a log with date, miles, etc.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Conventional oil is still fine for most people. Synthetic is better at temperature extremes and lasts longer, that's really about it. I use synthetic only really because it's really not much more than money than conventional these days, and I can extend my oil change intervals with it which simply means less work.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
^^^You are correct on the dino oil!!!!!! Is Mobile 1 approved by Chrysler/Jeep for usage in your wrangler engine???
I used to argue this a lot. Then I re-read the owners manual and I even conceded that the manual says oil meeting ms 53-10I69 (I made the numbers up, ones not even a number) is recommended. Not required. So I believe you should be good as long as you change your oil with...well oil.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just did my 1000 mile change today and put in regular pennzoil 5w20... you should of seen the metal shavings in my filter pretty impressive

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The only synthetic fluids JK's come from the factory with are ATF+4 and 75W140 in the rear dif. if it has a factory installed tow package. Some dealers seem to stretch their knowledge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts