Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 4 inch rc lift in my tj and the thing rides like a tank. every bump feels like the jeeps gunna fall apart. im looking at upgrading my shocks to see if that helps. looking at the rancho 9000's that u can ajust but there expensive. i dont want to spend alot of money if its not going to help.
any suggestions????

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Shocks make all the difference in the ride of your Jeep. Mine use to ride like a dump truck until I changed out the shocks for the Rancho 9000s. I know they are a little pricey, but the adjustability factor along with a lifetime warranty make them worth it. I plan on having my Jeep a long time so it was a good choice. I got mine at my4by.com for just over $60 a shock shipped. Right now I know Rancho has a deal that you can get the wireless controller for the 9000s free. May want to get the shocks and the wireless remote and sell the remote to offset the shock cost. I want to say they go for like $200 new. You will never regret buying 9000s. I will never go for a shock that is not adjustable again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have stock ride height and put on the rs9000's and they ride great on the lowest setting. They were worth the extra money. Plus I can stiffen them up some if I want. I got mine at Advance Auto Parts when Rancho was doing a buy 3 get 1 free deal.... I am still waiting for my rebate money in the mail.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input. just didint want to put a bunch of money into somthing that wont make a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I wouldn't blame it all on the shocks, it's more than likely the springs. I had a 4" Procomp lift on my jeep and it had the same problem it rode rough as hell. So thinking that the shocks were to blame as well as the bushings be hammered out I replaced the shocks with Rancho 5000's. The ride was better but it was still pretty stiff. 3 yrs later, the procrap springs were pretty much done so I replaced the springs this winter with Currie RockJock springs for the TJ, Wow! What a difference, now the suspension is perfect, not too hard not too soft, nice and flexy and a great ride to boot. And the shocks are still those same rancho's.

·
Registered
560 Posts
jeepjones said:
I wouldn't blame it all on the shocks, it's more than likely the springs. I had a 4" Procomp lift on my jeep and it had the same problem it rode rough as hell. So thinking that the shocks were to blame as well as the bushings be hammered out I replaced the shocks with Rancho 5000's. The ride was better but it was still pretty stiff. 3 yrs later, the procrap springs were pretty much done so I replaced the springs this winter with Currie RockJock springs for the TJ, Wow! What a difference, now the suspension is perfect, not too hard not too soft, nice and flexy and a great ride to boot. And the shocks are still those same rancho's.
Pics please?:p haha I'm going to invest in new springs eventually because I deal with alot of sag in the rear and stiff up front. could the stiffness up front by from not having a aftermarket sway bars? I have a 4 inch full traction that just comes with sway bar extensions. So I'm not sure on If that could be a factor.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I'll be taking the jeep on a run this weekend for the first time since I installed my new springs and control arms so I haven't any action pics with the new set up yet.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
The shocks that I had that made my Jeep ride like a dump truck were Rancho 5000s. They are a very hard riding shock. I will never put them on a vehicle again.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I haven't had a problem at all with my 5000's, they are tough as shit, the bushings are still good after all the abuse they have been given and with the new springs they ride great.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can't help on the shocks but, I do know when I put on my new tires the ride got real stiff. They are "E" rated, I won;t do that again. Letting some air out and dropping to 28psi really helped.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
i love my RE monotubes...

OME nitros are pretty good too

·
Registered
413 Posts
Speaking of shocks and suspension, anybody have any dealings with Fat Bobs Garage. They seem to have pretty good prices on their shocks and springs...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts