Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Wrangler YJ 93
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased my YJ and could not be happier. Other than manual transmission, I don’t know about engine size, transmission, etc.

How do I find all this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,926 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,673 Posts
Here's a link that gives some of the basics.

The link that Got it at last posted may not work for the early YJs. Mine is a 1987 that was made by AMC and MOPAR doesn't seem to any records of it. MOPAR bought the Jeep brand in 1987 so all 1988 and newer YJs are made by them.

Yeah, post some pics.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
If you post pictures the guys on this forum never cease to amaze me with what they can tell you just from a few pictures. Obviously the Vin build sheet link is a great tool as well especially if your vehicle is bone stock or close to stock

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
Wrangler YJ 93
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pics thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Looks like a base model Wrangler that was probably towed behind a motor home.

Count the spark plugs to determine if it’s 4 or 6 cylinder, or post a photo of the engine bay.
The transmission will be an Aisin AX5 if it a 4 cylinder, Aisin AX15 if it’s a 6 cylinder.
TJ wheels
Aftermarket tubular bumper
Half doors
Hardtop
Nerf bars
Probably a 2.5” suspension lift looking at the military wrap.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Your sig states that it's a 93...
So if it has a 6 cylinder (6 spark plugs... it's a 4.0L with a AX15 transmission.
If it has a 4 cylinder (4 spark plugs) it has a AX5 transmission with 4:10 gears.

Picks with the hood up and of the motor will help.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Some Canadian YJ's had a D44 rear axle post pix of it

·
Registered
Wrangler YJ 93
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He she is with the hood open

·
Registered
Wrangler YJ 93
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like a base model Wrangler that was probably towed behind a motor home.

Count the spark plugs to determine if it’s 4 or 6 cylinder, or post a photo of the engine bay.
The transmission will be an Aisin AX5 if it a 4 cylinder, Aisin AX15 if it’s a 6 cylinder.
TJ wheels
Aftermarket tubular bumper
Half doors
Hardtop
Nerf bars
Probably a 2.5” suspension lift looking at the military wrap.
What’s the military wrap?

·
Registered
2006 Rubicon, 4.0, automatic (stock for now)
459 Posts
Just a small side note, but someone disconnected your a/c lines, and you might want to tighten the bolt on your power steering pump bracket. Looks like a nice project though!

·
Super Moderator
12,673 Posts
Military wrap refers to how the #2 spring leaf (partly) wraps around the shackles as compared to how the stock springs end without the wrap.

Good Luck, LM.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Just a small side note, but someone disconnected your a/c lines, and you might want to tighten the bolt on your power steering pump bracket. Looks like a nice project though!
The compressor is gone...

·
Premium Member
289 Posts

Yeah! I'm looking at it and I'm like--"He's missing his AC compressor!"

@asanz you need one of these... probably a few other bits as well to get your AC working.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
So it is, I apologize. Was looking but not paying enough attention to details.

LOL, but you spotted the loose bolt--I didn't.

@asanz
Looks like "bubba" has been "Frankensteining" your Jeep...
Lots of folks smarter than me can spot a good number of things from photos but you might consider having a mechanic inspect the Jeep nose to tail.

John D

·
Registered
2006 Rubicon, 4.0, automatic (stock for now)
459 Posts
^ so agree with this statement!! I would have a mech look at it as soon as possible and do some tests as well. No telling what the last shade tree mechanic did to it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts