Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point I want to put a lift on my 15 JKU and get 35s. My driving will mainly be roads and city but I want decent stuff so I can go off roading every once in a while. I know I need at least 3.5 inches of lift for the 35s. I just can't decide on what lift and why basically. Should I just do a 3.5 inch suspension and coil lift. Or should I do a combo 2 inch lift and a 2 inch budget body lift? Any advice here would be appreciated. What to lift? Why? What brands and types are good and why?

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you want an answer more tailored to your specific guide lines (which are very popular) I would steer you towards an AEV 3.5/4.5 SC lift. If you want to blow another $450 you can get the RS version which adds remote reservoir shocks which you do not need unless you do a lot of high speed driving over washboard like road conditions. But they do look cool!

Why?
The AEV system is much different than most other lifts in that it includes brackets to drop the location where your control arms mount to the frame. Because you are not replacing the control arms you are not screwing with the factory geometry which retains the stock ride and handling characteristics. You should also retain your factory warranty with this set up and on a JKU you wont need to mess around with swapping drive shafts. You also get a high steer kit included. If you want a daily driver that rides and handles like a stock Jeep but has that more aggressive look with larger 35"-37" tires and is PLENTY capable than the AEV is the way to go if you can swing the $1800.

Now if you're interested in getting into more aggressive off road activities like rock crawling then the AEV stuff starts to loose its appeal. But they have marketed themselves as overland/expedition type equipment. For more extreme activities there are similarly priced kits that provide MUCH more ground clearance and articulation via adjustable control arms rather than drop brackets. But this comes at a sacrifice to ride quality and handling.

There is no perfect all around set up so you really have to be honest with yourself about what type of off roading you're going to do and how much you're going to really do it. If the cost was not a factor I would venture to say that the AEV lift is the best bet for more than 90% of JK owners. Personally I am driving a 2015 2 door on a 4" Teraflex 8 arm adjustable lift with 37" bias ply tires. I typically drive about 30,000 miles per year and I feel that it rides and handles just fine. But the AEV is always going to ride and handle better.

Just my $0.02

If you want more details you really should check out the link that Tippy Tay posted above and also have a look at this video. I found it to be very helpful in making my decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUSrjamaJE

·
Registered
820 Posts
^^ What MC Jay said

Just want to point out... if you're budget is on the smaller end... the AEV 2.5" lift is very good too, and you can run 35" tires with that lift. It's all you need for most off road trails, unless you plan to do the more extreme.

I would not recommend doing any kind of combo lift / body lift. You just bought a brand new $30K+ vehicle, DO NOT hack up the suspension with a compromised system. You're far better off with stock suspension than cobbling something together. Stick with AEV, TeraFlex. Buy a quality lift kit if you're going to do it, and go with one of those 2 brands. Fit will be perfect, performance will be best available.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
Tons of lifts and while there are plenty of AEV fans out there, and they are good lifts, there are others like the Metalcloak Overland Elite that will rival the AEV and provide a lot more flex for offroading. It includes the "brackets" as well and when paired with the OME shocks is quite an amazing ride.

METALCLOAK

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am also considering the MC lift.

For the money though, would it not be better to get a TF or RK lift with control arms than the MC lift which uses brackets to correct the geometry?

I am also one of those struggling to pick out a lift on my JKU (WW). I was going with the MOPAR at first, but I really dont want to mess around with cam bolts. Especially since I plan to install the lift myself. I heard that the cam bolts can be a pain to get right.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
I am also considering the MC lift.

For the money though, would it not be better to get a TF or RK lift with control arms than the MC lift which uses brackets to correct the geometry?

I am also one of those struggling to pick out a lift on my JKU (WW). I was going with the MOPAR at first, but I really dont want to mess around with cam bolts. Especially since I plan to install the lift myself. I heard that the cam bolts can be a pain to get right.
There are a couple of topics for discussion there...

Budget and type of caster correction.

For caster correction, there are 3 ways we commonly do it. Cam bolts, brackets and control arms. I wouldn't ever use cam bolts/washers when the right way of doing it can be as little as $100 with brackets. The best way to do it at 2.5" is lower control arms and those can be had for about $150...

Budget seems to be a big deal in deciding a lift kit. I like the Mopar kit with a set of TF lower control arms instead of the cam bolts, but it's kind of expensive because of the drive shaft. I like the MC Overland kit if on-road performance is most important or rock crawling is less common. I like the TF "most popular" lift if all around performance is desired and budget is a little lower. I like the MC and RK big kits if budget isn't so tight...

·
Registered
324 Posts
There are a couple of topics for discussion there...

Budget and type of caster correction.

For caster correction, there are 3 ways we commonly do it. Cam bolts, brackets and control arms. I wouldn't ever use cam bolts/washers when the right way of doing it can be as little as $100 with brackets. The best way to do it at 2.5" is lower control arms and those can be had for about $150...

Budget seems to be a big deal in deciding a lift kit. I like the Mopar kit with a set of TF lower control arms instead of the cam bolts, but it's kind of expensive because of the drive shaft. I like the MC Overland kit if on-road performance is most important or rock crawling is less common. I like the TF "most popular" lift if all around performance is desired and budget is a little lower. I like the MC and RK big kits if budget isn't so tight...
Thanks for the good information. Budget is not a huge concern, but I would like to stay under 2k for fear of my wife killing me.
I was thinking about the RK most popular one on the krawloff-road.com site, only with the track bar and fixed control arms. Do I need the adjustable ones?

Is there anything else I need to get? I will get 33s once my stock WW tires are gone, but I have no plan to go with 35s. Maybe someday after I get a good deal on a front D44.
Ride quality is very important for me. Most of my off-roading is in Anza Boreggo desert.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
Thanks for the good information. Budget is not a huge concern, but I would like to stay under 2k for fear of my wife killing me.
I was thinking about the RK most popular one on the krawloff-road.com site, only with the track bar and fixed control arms. Do I need the adjustable ones?

Is there anything else I need to get? I will get 33s once my stock WW tires are gone, but I have no plan to go with 35s. Maybe someday after I get a good deal on a front D44.
Ride quality is very important for me. Most of my off-roading is in Anza Boreggo desert.
You do not need the adjustable arms if you are going to stay at 2.5". They are a perfect match. The TF most popular setup is popular for a reason, it is very balanced and a great combination. And a great match for 33's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in the same boat. I just purchased a 2012 JKU Sport. Will be doing mostly daily driving, but will be overlanding with some rock crawling in the middle. I am being steered towards Teraflex 4" long arm kit, but I am having a real hard time with the price of just the kit itself. Guess the Jeep'in is gonna be expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts