Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a expert on lift kits, but this looks like maybe a 2"? Recently while playing in the foot of snow we got here, the transfer case would pop out of 4L. It did this several times while unsuccessfully trying to climb a steep driveway that had some ice under the fluffy stuff.

4H works fine...........

I did some searching and think I might need the Teraflex transfer case linkage to stop this issue?
Teraflex 4947100 - TeraFlex Transfer Case Shifter Linkage Adapter for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

Or, I had an alignment done today, and the tech said that the tranny/tC skid plate really does not need the 1" spacers & they might be causing the linkage problem?

Anyway, I need to figure it out, because sliding backwards down a 25 degree driveway in "inadvertent neutral" is not a fun feeling....:puke:

·
Registered
425 Posts
The problem is not the lift, but the spacers on the transmission skid plate.

So yes and no about the lift.

Wonder if a different linkage would work. Other will fill in here.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Chances are you need the t-case spacers to avoid drive line vibrations produced by the lift. You can determine the amount of lift by measuring the springs with the jeep sitting on the ground. Stock springs will measure 12" in front and 8" in back. Anything over that is lift height.

You may just need to readjust your t-case linkage, or you may need to install a drop bracket on the linkage, but as mentioned above, the absolutely best solution is either a savvy or novak shift cable.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for the info...looking at the Savvy now(it's a bit cheaper than the Novak)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the front end is pretty soft, so those shocks are toast. I have to get some other stuff sorted out before I do any suspension work. A front end alignment yesterday revealed 2 ball joints and a steering knuckle that are bad. I have a bag on the floor of the jeep with the new turn signal multi switch in it and the ignition parts behind the tumbler that I need to install. Getting rid of the electrical gremlin first, then the TC shifter issue, ball joints/etc, then maaaybe the suspension...............:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts