Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
location is a big part of it... if you need to be streetable in snow and ice.... don't look at Detroits... you will need to have select-able lockers . ARB and OX are in that category. ARBs require an air source while the OX is mechanical ( could be modified to be actuated with electric/pneumatic solenoids )

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
location is a big part of it... if you need to be streetable in snow and ice.... don't look at Detroits... you will need to have select-able lockers . ARB and OX are in that category. ARBs require an air source while the OX is mechanical ( could be modified to be actuated with electric/pneumatic solenoids )
i know my busy has mechanical is air lockers better? i don't wheel anything too extreme since its my daily driver but there has been some spots where lockers would of helped me out.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
ARB lockers are truly the best. OX lockers are great but can have a hard time engaging sometimes. Eaton electric lockers are a good option as well.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Do you ever have to drive on icy streets?

Do you think you'll ever go with a larger tire size?

Does anyone else, like a wife or girlfriend, ever have to drive your Jeep?

·
Registered
304 Posts
kpla51 said:
i know my busy has mechanical is air lockers better? i don't wheel anything too extreme since its my daily driver but there has been some spots where lockers would of helped me out.
I dont thing one is "better" then the other. Its all in your budget and where you wheel. I run the lockrights front and rear. I like the simplicity of the lunchbox type lockers. The only draw back is the inability to shut them off. The front is invisible in 2wd and the rear takes a few miles to get use to it. I have not driven in snow or ice yet but from what I have read you just need to be careful and not make aggressive maneuvers or hit the gas while turning. I have no problem letting the wife drive it. It just takes some coaching so they know what to expect. I'm happy with my choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Please tell me why?
Noob also looking a lockers and I thought I like the Detriots.
Its for a off road rig, no snow or ice driving, maybe run to store 1 mile away. I will have very little on road diving and probable no highway.

thanks

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Detroit lockers are somewhat quirky on-road. They tend to unlock and bang, which can be tough to handle if you are not experienced. I've had Detroits in two of my rigs and have learned how to drive with them. I do not drive my rig during the winter so I avoid the associated issues with snow/ice driving.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you ever have to drive on icy streets?

Do you think you'll ever go with a larger tire size?

Does anyone else, like a wife or girlfriend, ever have to drive your Jeep?
ice no and if so its extremely rare

i don't want to go over 33s

and nobody but me ever drives it

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
kpla51 said:
are aussie lunch box lockers good? and how hard are these to install?
I've never done it, but Aussie lockers are relatively easy to install since they don't replace the whole case. I plan on putting one in the front some time soon. They're cheap and effective. I don't think they're as strong but on 33s it'll be completely fine in the front at least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts