Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my Rubicon after being a Jeep since 2002. Now that I have it I have myself wonder what mechanical upgrades can you do to it. I have the cosmetic upgrades figured out already. The pics are posted below. Anybody's input would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Oooh, lots and lots of stuff.

How much money you got?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well there's:

Lift
Bigger tires
Steering upgrades
Armor
D60's
Gears
On board air
New lockers
Forced induction or engine swaps

The world is your oyster... As long as your wallet is fat enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cool. So basically along the lines as what I was going to do to my 08 X. I just didn't want to do any accidental downgrading. It comes with lockers and stuff already and is well equipped. So steering components, shocks, springs, etc

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
The sky is the limit. Anything and everything can be "upgraded". Try to figure out what your end goal is. Then upgrade based on that. Good luck and congrats on the new jeep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
That's a vague question! You can literally do anything.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
What do you need it to do? Mallcrawler, mud puppy, rock crawler, swamp monster?

·
Registered
429 Posts
you can do as much as the $$$$ allow.... but its kinda like domino's

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Finally got my Rubicon after being a Jeep since 2002. Now that I have it I have myself wonder what mechanical upgrades can you do to it. I have the cosmetic upgrades figured out already. The pics are posted below. Anybody's input would be great.
Are you kidding? The question should be what should you not upgrade do first?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With these responses I feel as though I should clarify. I'm not jeep stupid. I have a 97 TJ and had an 08 Wrangler X before this. I've just never had a rubicon. I've always had the jeep that I wanted to perform like a rubicon or even better. Trust me with a jeep the only thing that limits you is your imagination...and your wallet lol. I'm going for a nice mix between DD and trail rig. I figured I needed to be careful with sway bars and steering since I have the electronic disconnects and stuff like that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Depending on how wild you trail it, I bent one of the stock sway bar links pretty quickly after getting my Rubi. Quick sway bar disconnects would be my recommendation, using the button is nice but I need that peace of mind, so I just pull them out every time when wheelin'

Grats on the new Jeep!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I don't know...

maybe try getting all the parts of a stock Sport model and see about going that route?

:bop:

hahaha, JK....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Beautiful Jeep. I had a 2004 Rubicon and now a 12 and love it. As stated sky is the limit, good to think how you want to use it, and have a general plan as many items may be domino.

Black is the best color also :)

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
With these responses I feel as though I should clarify. I'm not jeep stupid. I have a 97 TJ and had an 08 Wrangler X before this. I've just never had a rubicon. I've always had the jeep that I wanted to perform like a rubicon or even better. Trust me with a jeep the only thing that limits you is your imagination...and your wallet lol. I'm going for a nice mix between DD and trail rig. I figured I needed to be careful with sway bars and steering since I have the electronic disconnects and stuff like that.
Honestly, the Rubicon is perfect for this use as it is. A lot of people buy a Rubicon for a well-equipped, factory off-road vehicle that operates great as a DD. You can improve it of course, but the stock lockers, springs, shocks will take you plenty of places you couldn't go before. That's why I bought the Rubicon. I didn't want to spend anything on axles and lockers.

If you want a cosmetic upgrade that provides better on road and off road performance, consider a good, high performance lift with 35's, like the dual sport lift from metal cloak. This will take care of some of the weaker stock suspension elements that will break someday anyway and while you're at it, swap the ball joints and bolt hardware.

The first upgrades i did to my Rubicon were a new front bumper and a winch for self-recovery and on board air to easily deflate and inflate.

Oh and the lights had to go, the stock headlights, fogs and tail lights are terrible.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly, the Rubicon is perfect for this use as it is. A lot of people buy a Rubicon for a well-equipped, factory off-road vehicle that operates great as a DD. You can improve it of course, but the stock lockers, springs, shocks will take you plenty of places you couldn't go before. That's why I bought the Rubicon. I didn't want to spend anything on axles and lockers.

If you want a cosmetic upgrade that provides better on road and off road performance, consider a good, high performance lift with 35's, like the dual sport lift from metal cloak. This will take care of some of the weaker stock suspension elements that will break someday anyway and while you're at it, swap the ball joints and bolt hardware.

The first upgrades i did to my Rubicon were a new front bumper and a winch for self-recovery and on board air to easily deflate and inflate.
Thanks for this reply. Kinda what I was looking for. I agree with you about the headlights and tail lights for sure.

Oh and the lights had to go, the stock headlights, fogs and tail lights are te

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Thanks for this reply. Kinda what I was looking for. I agree with you about the headlights and tail lights for sure.

Oh and the lights had to go, the stock headlights, fogs and tail lights are te
Things I have done to my 2009:

H4 headlight conversion
Tweeter, speaker and sub mod.
Pioneer HU
Leveling kit
1.5" wheel spacers
Winch
Bumpers front and rear.
275/70/17 Cooper AT3's

TTDL:

285/75/17 tires when I wear out the Coopers.

TTDL when I win the lottery

4.1 stroker or supercharger.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'll go ahead and apologize for my smart-a$$ed response earlier :).

If you're running some mild trails I wouldn't bother altering much on the suspension of the JKR. Maybe start with some armor like skids and diff covers/sliders. My Rubicon is going to be used kinda like yours until it's days as a DD are done.

Like you I started off with creature comforts/light functional mods. Cargo cover, door sill plates, new antenna, hitch, mesh grill guard, and aluminum hood latches.

The next thing I plan to do is gusset my C's (on the fence for trussing my front axle) and upgrade my steering components. So HD draglink and tierod.

I run washboard/rutted fire roads and trails (paved roads in Mi are crap as well lol) I'll upgrade to an adjustable res shock. Kings or the new Falcon 3.3's and sumo springs or something like that for bumps and maybe a leveling kit.

Somewhere in there I'll add diff skids, relocate the evap, and throw an oil pan/trans skid on. Last thing I'll do is when my stock tires wear out I'll upgrade to a 33/34" AT and run some flats. I've also thought about doing the locker bypass mod or getting a trailcal to control those.

The more I research and get into the world of Jeeps the more I'm inclined to keep the LCOG going. Maybe down the road when it's strictly a toy I'll splurge and do something crazy like coilovers or a 4" lift, but until that day I'll be happy and more than capable in my Rubicon with what I outlined above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would get some LED head lights as one of the first things.
I just upgraded mine 2014 JK with the Quadratec LED head- and fog-light set.
Beside the look the upgrade is worth every penny when it comes to driving at night.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts