Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Wow thats not pretty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow! I haven't seen something like that since my 65 Power Wagon

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
How old was it? What condition were the joints in? Have you contacted Tom yet?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok heres the background story. i have 225/75/15s on it at the moment for winter, i run 33's in the summer with stock gears. the drive shaft is going on 8yo had it since fall of 03 since then ive burned out 6-10 rear u-joints. i was in the wal mart parking lot omw to salvage a guys hard drive as its his life and business. And yes ive contacted tom but as i dont really have the time to chat on the phone during normal business hours emailing goes a lot slower.

IMO everything stems from the fact i got an old RC 4" lift that sags and my drive line angles are off...and my jeep is a cluster f*!$ of broken/breaking stuff at the moment that i just dont have the money to fix all at once, but hey who does right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did something similar. And by similar I mean I popped the clutch at about 3400 rpm and it was quite a sound. I thought my brand new Tom woody was dead but I got lucky ( kinda) and just grenaded my d44 pinion yoke ha. I'm not taking my anger out on my jeep again hah,but I got a free yoke from the guy that sold me the axles. The tow truck was a little spendy, anyway I think that driveline was gone a while ago. But contact Tom woods they stand behind their woodies and they might just help you out.

·
Registered
402 Posts
A few shims can many times fix drive-line angles, but a saggy 4" lift shouldnt mess angles up that much. If everything was stock angles (even with a t-case drop, but you must have a SYE??) and your springs sag it should be putting things more in-line unless you had your pinion angle set way to far up to begin with. IN any case, I would think the straps on the pinion yoke (or the yoke itself if using u-bolts) would have broken well before the TW DS...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i actually took out my t-case drop for a custom one to get the angles more inline to what they should be. the one that comes with most 4" lifts is a 1.5" drop i believe, im down to a .9 to 1.0" drop instead to get the angles right.

my uncles jeep with a 2.5" lift and 32" tires sat about 1/2 to 3/4" lower than mine with a 4" lift and 33" tires.

although i just got a quote today to fix my frame at the trans skid plate and the rear corners...$500 which i dont think is too bad...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts