Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think my 2" BDS shocks and springs are arriving Monday or Tuesday and I wanted to get some things prepped. I wanted to loosen some bolts and the first sway bar bolt snapped. The torx side is frozen as well. I have some Mapp gas but I'm afraid to heat it because of the rubber part of the sway bar being so close.
Jeep bolts are very frustrating.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

ForumRunner_20160227_152857.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These didn't look rusty. I sprayed PB blaster a couple of times abs and beat the nut with a hammer, careful not to hit the threads. I guess it wasn't long enough. It's a clean break so I guess I beat try to pry or hammer it through.
I have prepped my passenger seat torx bolt for a solid week now and I feel like the top is starting to strip. I have a 50 but it never really fit right. I've been able to get all the other bolts out of both seats except for this last one. I can't spray any PB blaster underneath because of the muffler heart shield. I'm hitting it with Mapp, letting it cool, hitting it again, letting it cool... And nothing. I don't want to stop the head.
I've had this jeep for 3 weeks, I hope the top off at the beach is worth all these damn frozen bolts.
Patience... Patience... Patience.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
What year is your Jeep? Take 2016 and subtract that year this number equals the number of years that bolt/nut have been together. Do you see my point?

ALWAYS! PB Blaster or Kroil any and every bolt/nut combo before attempting to loosen them. Using an impact wrench will also help. It will just make working on your Jeep much easier.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Won't it just hammer through now?
I wouldn't think there are any threads on the brace or torsion bar connector.
I'd try driving a smaller sized bolt to push out the busted one.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Don't hammer it through without heat. It is set up in the mount. If you just hammer it the mount will bend.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I drive it while it might loosen or even fall out? If I heat it I'm going to melt the rubber that's there. I guess I might have to. I was hoping to use the same sway bar links for a while but I guess I'm getting some adjustable disconnects a little earlier that I thought. I bet I'm going to ruin all the sway bar links. It's an 04 and all original. Those bolts have been on there for probably 12 years.
Anyone use JKS adjustable sway bars with a 2" BDS lift?

·
Registered
916 Posts
If I drive it while it might loosen or even fall out? If I heat it I'm going to melt the rubber that's there. I guess I might have to. I was hoping to use the same sway bar links for a while but I guess I'm getting some adjustable disconnects a little earlier that I thought. I bet I'm going to ruin all the sway bar links. It's an 04 and all original. Those bolts have been on there for probably 12 years.
Anyone use JKS adjustable sway bars with a 2" BDS lift?
Ok here's another idea.
Pry the sway bar link over enough to get a saw blade in there. Cut the bolt as close to the brace as you can.
When through you move the connecting link, slip the bolt shaft out and tie it out of the way, and then attack what's left of the bolt in the brace.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
PB is garbage. Invest in some Kroil!!
I agree. Last Saturday I replaced all four shocks and a broken sway bar link. I used PB Blaster for two weeks and it didn't help at all. Both of the front shocks I wound up grinding the shaft flat so that I could put a pipe wrench on them because the flat spot on the top of the shock striped out.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
I wanted to loosen some bolts and the first sway bar bolt snapped. The torx side is frozen as well. I have some Mapp gas but I'm afraid to heat it because of the rubber part of the sway bar being so close.
Jeep bolts are very frustrating.
Any suggestions?
Thanks View attachment 2851378
A 50:50 mix of ATF and Acetone. Paint it on liberally, and let it work at least overnight. If you can paint it on once or twice a day for a week, even better.

It worked great on my sway bar link bolts, and a couple of other recalcitrant bolts on my rust-belt Jeep. OTOH, it has not worked on my front bumper bolts or rear shock bolts. So for now, the plow-frame I never use stays on, and I won't be replacing that rear shock bushing that disintegrated.

YMMV, and invariably will...

·
Registered
179 Posts
A 50:50 mix of ATF and Acetone. Paint it on liberally, and let it work at least overnight. If you can paint it on once or twice a day for a week, even better.

It worked great on my sway bar link bolts, and a couple of other recalcitrant bolts on my rust-belt Jeep. OTOH, it has not worked on my front bumper bolts or rear shock bolts. So for now, the plow-frame I never use stays on, and I won't be replacing that rear shock bushing that disintegrated.

YMMV, and invariably will...
Just by Kroil no need to mix any crap together and hope that Indian secret recipe works. Kroil is the best there is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts