Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 TJ had close to 170,000 miles. I live in NY where it can get real cold.
Its my 1st year with the Jeep. This summer it was great, running 10w40. does not burn a drop of oil or leak a drop. Is 10w40 too thick or maybe 10w30 or 5w30. which brands and how about the high miles oil types..
or should i just stick with the 10w40-- or how bout these 5w40 types

thanks
P.scott:popcorn:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to mention its a 2.5 4cyl

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just always run what the manual says, and 10W-30 is what that prefers, but 5W-30 is acceptable for low temperatures. (It's a straight six though.)

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
How cold does it get? If it gets real cold the 5w-40 will help the crank through the thick oil in the colds starts. If it doesn't get real cold 10W-40 is fine. There used to be a temp chart around somewhere. I was in the UP michigan in the 70's and it really would help the cold starts to go to winter oil.

·
Registered
819 Posts
If you are not burning or leaking oil, use the recommended 10w-30. If it is real cold, consistently in the teens or lower then try 5w-30.

FWIW, my PO used 5w-30 (4.0l) which I use in not so cold CT winters because it does turn over a little easier on the rare REALLY cold (read: single digit/sub-zero) morning. I don't burn oil either, and it doesn't leak enough to "mark it's territory", even with the 5w-30.
YMMV, and invariably will...

·
Registered
207 Posts
My 97 TJ had close to 170,000 miles. I live in NY where it can get real cold.
Its my 1st year with the Jeep. This summer it was great, running 10w40. does not burn a drop of oil or leak a drop. Is 10w40 too thick or maybe 10w30 or 5w30. which brands and how about the high miles oil types..
or should i just stick with the 10w40-- or how bout these 5w40 types

thanks
P.scott:popcorn:
50%-70% of all engine wear happens at cold start up from oil starvation.

The first number is the cold viscosity index. The lower the number the lower the viscosity, the easier it will flow to your bearings in cold temps. The sooner your bearings get oil the better. The second number is the hot viscosity index. The higher the number the better it will old up under hot operating temps.

It gets to 10-20 degrees easily in NY so I would definitely go with 5W-30.

I don't use their products but their website has a good explanation of how to read oil numbers. Here is a link.

Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

1 - 7 of 7 Posts