Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a power inverter to run a corded drill (or Jig saw, or angle grinder; not all at once) in the field so I can do various repairs. I've researched and have a couple of questions.

I know the drill is a 5.5amp, which converts to 660 watts, and surge startup dictates I want a minimum 1200-1800 inverter, so I was looking at a 2300 watt to have me covered in all cases.

Most of the inverters I have shopped for don't specify pure or modified sine wave. Like this one:

This is at Lowe's and seems easy enough to install and was likely the one I was going to go with.

Also, would I try to go with a breaker instead of an inline fuse? I saw a 200w breaker (advised to go 1:10 on breaker/fuse to inverter wattage) and they are quite expensive, so it would be nice if I didn't have to spend so much where it isn't necessary and go with an automotive inline fuse like you would use for audio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess the other question I didn't ask was does it matter about the pure vs modified sine wave?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have a 1000W with a 2000W surge zamp and it will run my corded drill. I believe you want pure sine wave especially if you are going to charge lap tops etc.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
Keep in mind that whatever a device draws when plugged into a 120 volt AC outlet in the house, it will draw more than 10X that amount of amperes when it has to get that same amount of power (watts) from a 12 volt source. With a 5 amp drill, I'd guess with the non-100% efficiency of the inverter than it's going to draw more like 70 amps from your Jeep's electrical system so you'd have to keep the engine running and the engine revved up a bit.

Personally, I'd go for battery operated tools or a small portable generator at the job site.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Good point, I'm running mine off a separate rv deep cycle battery.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
tools won't care if it's sine wave or square wave. you can use the "power outlet" (used to be called a cigarette lighter before the political correctness Nazis took over) to charge/run your computer stuff.
200A sounds about right for 2300W (2300/12=191.67). breakers should trip every time, but fuses will blow every time. I've seen breakers not trip with a dead short. it's ugly. you would not be able to disconnect the battery fast enough. use the money you save and buy an extra fuse.
also make sure to size the wire properly. you're looking at AWG 4/0 for 195A. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge)
you're looking at some potentially serious problems if not done right, least being loss of your rig, heaven forbid you and your family are in it on the highway......
are you sure you need that much power?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I/we have been using inverters in motorhomes for 30 years, 8 of those living full time and having very good power systems. Inverters have gotten much better and much lower price over the years. We have never used hookups, boondocking the whole time (not even using generator, only used it 150 hours in 8 years). I am rving single now, and the first thing I did is get a true sine wave inverter. Get a good one, and sounds like your calculations are very conservatives. Our experience with sine wave or not: things with moving parts are very sensitive to the wave form. We had experience with printers, shavers, certain power tools, etc. Not working as expected or having a shorter lifespan. Usually it was not obvious what was happening, but things like a shaver making the right noise and looking like it was working, but was not cutting hair. Printer power supplies would stop working early in their life. Some power tools would not work properly, but would work ok off the generator. Just my humble opinion based on a lifestyle that used the product fulltime successfully 24 hours a day, for 8 years fulltime, and 35 years recreationally.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Someone earlier mentioned a generator. I have one of these, 2000 watt inverter and is super quiet and compact. Just for consideration. Runs about 8 hrs on a tank of gas at 50% load. Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2000 Watt Stackable Portable Inverter Generator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041K09D8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PNFFzb89GER0S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts