Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first Jeep about 2 months ago and I'm trying to decide where I should start with the mods. I have a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon and the only thing I have done so far is change out the headlights. My budget right now is $750 and I'm not sure where to start with the mods.

I've been looking at some things like KC lights, seat covers, and various interior items, but I'm wondering if my money would be better spent on a front bumper and winch. I have a feeling that I will be wheeling alone often since I don't know many people with Jeeps, so this is why a bumper and winch sound like a good start for me. Is there a decent front bumper and winch that I could get that's within my budget? I'm definitely a newd in the winch department and I don't need anything real expensive, just something that will do the job well. Regarding the front bumper, I've found this one that I like but I can't seem to find a real good image of it on a stock jeep. Anyone have this bumper on their Jeep? I've noticed I'm steering away from the tube bumpers as they don't seem to be my style. Is this a good place to start with my mods, or would there be a better way to spend my budget on the Jeep?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Rugged ridge xhd bumper and smittybilt xrc8 winch should fall into that price range.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just ordered the RR XHD too, cant wait for it to show up. You can add other items later if you want to as well...it is worth looking into!

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Armor. :)

·
account closed
417 Posts
EVAP skid plate, If your gonna off road its got alot more use than alot of the "pretty" stuff we all like to put on. The evap skid no one will ever see but when you are trashing through stuff you will be smiling knowing that its there. RR makes a pretty good one too. Oil Pan skid isnt too bad of an idea either. Im on a huge armor kick now that I got some of the other stuff on my list done. I feel like its gonna be some of the best money I will spend on this jeep, I can wait to add more and more armor.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Get an other Jeep for you Jeep so it doesn't feel bored when it's parked at home by itself. ;) Just kidding.

I would go with armor as well. That would mean that instead of spending money to fix the Jeep in the future, you could spend it on improving it.

·
UConn Husky
546 Posts
There are some items that is a good idea to have with you while going off road - hi lift jack, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, tools, gloves, CB (a lot of the parks around here monitor channels). The hi lift can be used as a winch if needed. Tow strap, tree strap, really general recovery gear, tire patch kit.

Not flashy, but good to have and adds up quickly

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
My top items have been XHD bumper and winch which I got last week, Stiffer springs to hold the extra weight which is being shipped as we speak. Already got the armor for the oil pan a must. Getting the front skid and the Evap skip after the first of the year. Then thoughts of better tires and wanting the new Trektop NX soft top whenever they release it grrrr.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
rics1997 said:
My top items have been XHD bumper and winch which I got last week, Stiffer springs to hold the extra weight which is being shipped as we speak. Already got the armor for the oil pan a must. Getting the front skid and the Evap skip after the first of the year. Then thoughts of better tires and wanting the new Trektop NX soft top whenever they release it grrrr.
Hows the quality on the new bumper?

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Hows the quality on the new bumper?
I was actually surprised. The more I looked at some of the pictures it looked like they may be thin. The only thing thin was the factory steel after the plastic was removed.

This bumper is super stout and high quality but because of that they are quite heavy and with the heavy winch it made my stock weak front springs not up to the task. But thats alright, factory stiffer spring were actually pretty cheap. I love the bumper and I think I might buy a couple add ons to change it up once in a while

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
rics1997 said:
I was actually surprised. The more I looked at some of the pictures it looked like they may be thin. The only thing thin was the factory steel after the plastic was removed.

This bumper is super stout and high quality but because of that they are quite heavy and with the heavy winch it made my stock weak front springs not up to the task. But thats alright, factory stiffer spring were actually pretty cheap. I love the bumper and I think I might buy a couple add ons to change it up once in a while
Thanks I'm already saving up for it! Gunna get me the stinger

·
Kansas Coyote
575 Posts
I just ordered the RR XHD too, cant wait for it to show up. You can add other items later if you want to as well...it is worth looking into!
Good choice Mel! :D Takes away that "stock look" immediately!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rugged ridge xhd bumper and smittybilt xrc8 winch should fall into that price range.
Ok, after doing a lot of research I think I will be going with this exact setup; Rugged Ridge XHD bumper & Smittybilt XRC-8 winch. I will also be saving up to buy the end caps as well, but that will definitely be a later purchase due to my budget. Thanks for the advice! After I get these 2 mods done, I think the next thing I will focus on is a good recovery bag and some armor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for the advice. I picked my Smitybilt XRC-8 winch yesterday and just ordered my RR XHD bumper today which should be in tomorrow. I'm lucky to work only 10 minutes from the 4 Wheel Parts store which is a 4wd.com distribution center, so I didn't have to worry about shipping costs, and since they also price match I was able to get both items including tax under my original budget with a few bucks to spare. Now on to the next items on my expanding wish list for the Jeep. I'll post some pictures of the new mods once I get them installed this weekend.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A couple hours time and a buddy. My boyfriend and I installed it, it was really easy. The hardest part was taking off the stock plastic, some of the fasteners did not want to come loose. 8 bolts hold the nee grill on and the fog lights have 4 nuts on each. We used a couple screw drivers, a pair of cutters and a rachet and socket set. Hope that helps, if you dont have the tools borrow some, it would be way cheaper than paying for the install!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts