Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over here in NJ waiting to ride out the storm. I remember last year around this time we had a pretty nasty snow storm, leaving trees and branches all over the road. I live in an area where this will most likely happen.

Anything I should know about using my winch for moving trees? Im guessing use a tree strap or tow strap wrapped around the tree with a D ring and hook up that way while I give it some gas in reverse and winch in. Any safety precautions, tips, or horror stories ?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
No need to to pull with your jeep. Just put it in N and let the winch do all the work. Be sure to run out plenty of line so that there is no chance of something coming back and hitting your jeep. Also after hooking up to something I tend to back up to take most of the slack out of the winch so that way you won't be wrapping up lose layers on my drum. This helps keep the winch line in better shape and keep it from digging in on the lose layers and making it harder from unspoling.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No need to to pull with your jeep. Just put it in N and let the winch do all the work. Be sure to run out plenty of line so that there is no chance of something coming back and hitting your jeep. Also after hooking up to something I tend to back up to take most of the slack out of the winch so that way you won't be wrapping up lose layers on my drum. This helps keep the winch line in better shape and keep it from digging in on the lose layers and making it harder from unspoling.
Thanks, thats good advice that I wouldnt have thought of.

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
I've read here on the forums that you never pull someone out using your front bumper and reversing to pull out. Something about the gears not being strong enough for reverse pulling with weight. They recommended always attaching to rear and pull via moving forward. Unless of course you are using the winch to do the pulling.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've read here on the forums that you never pull someone out using your front bumper and reversing to pull out. Something about the gears not being strong enough for reverse pulling with weight. They recommended always attaching to rear and pull via moving forward. Unless of course you are using the winch to do the pulling.
I had not heard this until just a couple of weeks ago after I snatched a stuck Expedition out of the sand in reverse. In hindsight I likely shouldn't have. I wound out the gear very quickly and it didn't smell so great afterward. Been driving fine since then so I don't think I did any damage but I won't do it again. Live and learn.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Definitely heavy blanket or wet towel to put over line incase something snaps. Snatch block just incase.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have only used my winch twice to recover myself using a tree as an anchor point. I have not used it to recover another vehicle or move a crap load of logs. What happens if I am trying to recover another vehicle and my vehicle starts moving instead of the one being recovered? Do I attach the rear of my vehicle to an anchor point using a tow strap?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had not heard this until just a couple of weeks ago after I snatched a stuck Expedition out of the sand in reverse. In hindsight I likely shouldn't have. I wound out the gear very quickly and it didn't smell so great afterward. Been driving fine since then so I don't think I did any damage but I won't do it again. Live and learn.
Really? I thought that recovering a vehicle in reverse would be okay. Good to know.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
gr8fulKID said:
I have only used my winch twice to recover myself using a tree as an anchor point. I have not used it to recover another vehicle or move a crap load of logs. What happens if I am trying to recover another vehicle and my vehicle starts moving instead of the one being recovered? Do I attach the rear of my vehicle to an anchor point using a tow strap?
Yep hook you recovery strap to your rear hook and wrap it round a tree, but unless your dealing with snow or extremely slick conditions you should be fine

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome vid and info. thanks a lot guys . You guys are also saying to leave my jeep in neutral when recovering a load? Does leaving it in drive mess with the gears? When I recovered myself I was giving it some gas to get unstuck but Im assuming that is different than tugging on a load?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
gr8fulKID said:
Awesome vid and info. thanks a lot guys . You guys are also saying to leave my jeep in neutral when recovering a load? Does leaving it in drive mess with the gears? When I recovered myself I was giving it some gas to get unstuck but Im assuming that is different than tugging on a load?
Yep when pulling a load you need to be in neutral so it wont break your parking paw and so you can rev your engine and help out your battery. Also remember to keep your foot firmly on the brake and dont just use the e-brake cause it wont hold you

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep hook you recovery strap to your rear hook and wrap it round a tree, but unless your dealing with snow or extremely slick conditions you should be fine
When you say recovery strap, are you referring to a tow strap or snatch strap that stretches?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
gr8fulKID said:
When you say recovery strap, are you referring to a tow strap or snatch strap that stretches?
Tow strap, dont use the one with built in hooks

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep when pulling a load you need to be in neutral so it wont break your parking paw and so you can rev your engine and help out your battery. Also remember to keep your foot firmly on the brake and dont just use the e-brake cause it wont hold you
Right on... Didnt even think about using the foot brake....:doh: Its late... Thanks a lot for all the great info. Im just throwing some staggered questions out here because Id really like to know the ins and outs of my winch. I a lot comes from experiences but just trying to get the safety thing down.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tow strap, dont use the one with built in hooks
Most of the info/ resources that I have found state against this. When using a strap, can i hook both ends up to my vehicle with the strap wrapped around the anchor point, kind of like a U shape? Or should one end be connected to my jeep and the other end be connected to the tree? Again, sorry for the redudent questions

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Personally after being in the Joplin tornado zone I would leave it to the professionals. If its an emergency sure go for it. But as one said power lines run along roads. Trees can take them down and hide them well. But get a good footing with the jeep, neutral, e brake set, wrap a strap around the tree and give her a tug. If it doesn't come you can anchor the rear to something just be leery and don't exceed the lines weight limit (the tree may only weigh say 1000 lbs but the force holding it down could be 10x that) and always use a line dampener.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts