Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm lookin at buyin a 91 jeep wrangler from a guy. he wants $3,200. but i wanna make sure i get a good deal.

stats
-4.0L 6 cyl egine w/ 136,000 miles.
-tranny is on the way out ( but has brand new clutch and slave cylinder)
-all terrain tires ( i think 30"s)
-body looks like you would expect for a 91' (doesnt look to have been taked off raod much)

pros
-soft top that is under 6 months old
-bikini top with cover for back seat that is under 6 months old.
-it has a metal step bar on each side
-has a CD player with removable face
-a sub behind the back seat
-two smaller speakers mounted beside the back seat.
*i'll be selling the audio system except for the radio. the sub takes up too much room and i plan on turnin this thing into an off-roader

cons
- refer to tranny issue above
-the windshield has a leak somewhere, when it rains water drips pretty swiftly from under the dash. (couldnt see leak just by looking)
-the passenger side windshield latch also leaks (visible)
-drivers side door lock doesnt work
-gas gauge doesnt work ( shows 1/4 tank means time to fill up)
-no A/C ( or isnt working, didnt look to see if it was installed)

let me know if yall think he is giving a fair asking price, if not, what should i ask. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
rebelBullDawg325 said:
i'm lookin at buyin a 91 jeep wrangler from a guy. he wants $3,200. but i wanna make sure i get a good deal.

stats
-4.0L 6 cyl egine w/ 136,000 miles.
-tranny is on the way out ( but has brand new clutch and slave cylinder)
-all terrain tires ( i think 30"s)
-body looks like you would expect for a 91' (doesnt look to have been taked off raod much)

pros
-soft top that is under 6 months old
-bikini top with cover for back seat that is under 6 months old.
-it has a metal step bar on each side
-has a CD player with removable face
-a sub behind the back seat
-two smaller speakers mounted beside the back seat.
*i'll be selling the audio system except for the radio. the sub takes up too much room and i plan on turnin this thing into an off-roader

cons
- refer to tranny issue above
-the windshield has a leak somewhere, when it rains water drips pretty swiftly from under the dash. (couldnt see leak just by looking)
-the passenger side windshield latch also leaks (visible)
-drivers side door lock doesnt work
-gas gauge doesnt work ( shows 1/4 tank means time to fill up)
-no A/C ( or isnt working, didnt look to see if it was installed)

let me know if yall think he is giving a fair asking price, if not, what should i ask. thanks

I think the non-locking door and gas guage issue is standard for a 91, I have the same problems. You are looking at around $500 for the air conditioning because you have to totally replace it because it is hard to service those old air conditioners in most cases. If this '91 is anything like mine you will be running into some costly issues replacing things due to rust and other problems. I am sure someone else has a better idea what the Jeep is worth, I just know that I have forked over A LOT of money lately redoing my '91. I love the thing, but he is getting expensive. (But he is looking good!!!) :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,631 Posts
rebelBullDawg325 said:
i'm lookin at buyin a 91 jeep wrangler from a guy. he wants $3,200. but i wanna make sure i get a good deal.

stats
-4.0L 6 cyl egine w/ 136,000 miles.
-tranny is on the way out ( but has brand new clutch and slave cylinder)
-all terrain tires ( i think 30"s)
-body looks like you would expect for a 91' (doesnt look to have been taked off raod much)

pros
-soft top that is under 6 months old
-bikini top with cover for back seat that is under 6 months old.
-it has a metal step bar on each side
-has a CD player with removable face
-a sub behind the back seat
-two smaller speakers mounted beside the back seat.
*i'll be selling the audio system except for the radio. the sub takes up too much room and i plan on turnin this thing into an off-roader

cons
- refer to tranny issue above
-the windshield has a leak somewhere, when it rains water drips pretty swiftly from under the dash. (couldnt see leak just by looking)
-the passenger side windshield latch also leaks (visible)
-drivers side door lock doesnt work
-gas gauge doesnt work ( shows 1/4 tank means time to fill up)
-no A/C ( or isnt working, didnt look to see if it was installed)

let me know if yall think he is giving a fair asking price, if not, what should i ask. thanks
I didn't think they came with A/C ;).......wait maybe they do :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
amerijeep said:
Must be a special edition YJ with prototyoe A/C...
My '91 has an after market AC installed. It just doesn't blow out cold air anymore. I have been driving for the last 6 months with no top, but just got a new SunRider top installed from BestTop. Check out my nice shiny new looking jeep http://www.webquestlessons.com/MRFJ1.htm

Ignore the first pictures, those are pictures of my husband's new FJ. The GOOD pictures are at the bottom! :p My Jeep will NOT be this shiny and clean much longer. Getting my lift installed soon!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,057 Posts
JeepMouse said:
My '91 has an after market AC installed. It just doesn't blow out cold air anymore. I have been driving for the last 6 months with no top, but just got a new SunRider top installed from BestTop. Check out my nice shiny new looking jeep http://www.webquestlessons.com/MRFJ1.htm

Ignore the first pictures, those are pictures of my husband's new FJ. The GOOD pictures are at the bottom! :p My Jeep will NOT be this shiny and clean much longer. Getting my lift installed soon!! :D

Pics look good. I like Mr.Jeep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,241 Posts
I wouldn't sell mine for that and it is four years older. Sure it needs some work, but they all do. It really doesn't sound like too bad or a deal to me. That is of course without seeing it. Just remember what Jeep stands for....Just Empty Every Pocket. It doesn't matter if you spend $3,000 or $30,000 to get it you will still end up dumping all kinds of money into it to get it the way you want it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
yjs did come with ac but im not sure if a 91 would i know my friends 93 or94 sahara has factory a/c. i think 3200 is a little high with a bad tranny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad to me, and I agree you will always spend money on it even if it was brand new. About the leak under the dash, I had the same problem, and could never find it, but replaced the rubber piece between the windshield and cowl, and it hasn't leaked since. Don't know for sure if that is your problem, but worked on mine. It's under $50.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
My '90 (Sahara) has factory A/C...look under the steering wheel to the lower right...that's where two knobs will be located that operate the air. Mine has "character" (Both knobs are missing!), so I can't tell you much other than the one on the left makes the cold air come out. Haven't had the top on it in the month I've owned it, so I have not looked up what the second one does....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,057 Posts
jchapman34 said:
My '90 (Sahara) has factory A/C...look under the steering wheel to the lower right...that's where two knobs will be located that operate the air. Mine has "character" (Both knobs are missing!), so I can't tell you much other than the one on the left makes the cold air come out. Haven't had the top on it in the month I've owned it, so I have not looked up what the second one does....
Fan speed control. I'm like you. Don't need no stinkin' top!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
my 94 yj no rust 1700.00

brother in laws 95 500.00

neighbors 92 Sahara (I think) 800.00

we all purchased them about a month ago
so if your just looking for one for the woods I would hold out for a better deal. there are jeeps around here all the time for around 1000

another thing you might try is when you see an old jeep sitting beside a barn or in a field go inquire about it alot of times it is something simple to fix. I traded a homade dirt bike trailer for my 79 cj w/304 quadratrack all it needed was a batt. and fuel pump, body was rusty but frame was solid so I cut off all the body and am making a full roll cage

I will try to post some pictures
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well down here, they're a saught after commodity, so they arent easy to find and arent that cheap, and i'm not ready to turn it into my play toy now. i plan on usin it as my DD for now, then once i can afford a decent car that will get me some good mileage, i'm gonna turn the jeep into my play toy for the woods and what not. i just figured, i need a new vehicle now, and this was offered to me so why not get one now when i know i ahve the chance, instead of wait later and maybe not be able to find one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
I agree RebelBullDawg. Jeeps are WAY overpriced in Georgia. And it doesn't matter what year they are. I was looking at several YJ's, they were all from 3500-6000 and none were in very good shape. I saw an 89 with a rusted out windshield and holes in the floor that sold for $5000+ and a 93 2.5 with no transfer case or front driveshaft listed for $6500. :eek:

I ended up getting my 98 TJ 4.0 with 110k miles for just over 6k. So it is possible, even here in GA, to find a deal. It just takes time.
Patience grasshoppa.

JeepMouse, nice clean YJ. I love the FJ Cruiser too. I almost kicked my Tacoma to the curb when those came out. Is it maual or automatic? 4x4 i hope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
I have mine kinda up for sale and would probably take $1800 without the hardtop and full doors. It will likely need an engine. It is an 88 YJ with a 6 cyinder automatic 4x4 and it has a/c, but does not blow cold.

I really dont want to sell it, but the wife is kinda getting sick of all the cars. I have 6 now. So whichever ones are left I get to keep. Probably only 2, but thats ok Im getting the boat I wanted.

If it doesnt sell I will slap an engine in it and keep it(which is what I wanted to begin with). Here is a link to the ebay auction if anyone is interested. Im not that far from Georgia. Here is the auction number 320019085917
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than $2500 with a busted tranny. Make a low ball offer, around $2000 or so. All the person can do is say no.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
The water leak is a common and easy to fix problem. (Look at the cowl / heater intake)
The 4.0 is a great motor, but that is alot of miles.
Bad tranny with new clutch and master cylinder? Who did the work? It may be bad do to bad shade-tree work. (Did they surface the flywheel etc?)
You will probably have a few other issues to deal with:
Has the header been replaced? If not, it is probably cracked.
What is the condition of the brakes? (Brakes are important)
Don't look at the body to see if it has been off road, look at the dents and scrathes on the xfercase and gas tank skid plates. GA mud washes off, those dents do not.
(If you find a dented gas tank skid plate, you also found your fuel gauge problem.)
Is it worth it?...only you can decide that. A fair price is what some one is willing to pay for something. You can pick up AX-15 trannys all over these sites, junkyards and ebay if you need one.
Good luck and let us know the outcome.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top