Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Which ever one you think will look best gathering dust. Mine sat in my garage for 5 years +. You can use the stock bottle jack and small plywood base to change a tire. The highlift gets tippy when lifting a jeep. Its great for other things, move jeep off a rock etc.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
48" is good for Jeeps. Keep in mind a Hi-Lift isn't for changing tires or maintenance, its for recovery. make sure you buy the real Hi-Lift brand, not some cheapo chinese knock off.

also note that they're not needed very often...at all. I've actually never used my Hi-Lift off-road....I've only used it for farm/ranch type stuff...all while working on trailers.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,408 Posts
Yep 48" max. I'm with 4Jeepn and UnlimitedLJ04 on the limited actual need for a Hi-Lift jack. I stopped carrying mine years ago. The bottle jack is sufficient for tires up to 37", I use mine for my 35" tires. The very LAST thing a Hi-Lift should be used for is changing tires.

In 15 years of active offroading, sometimes at pretty extreme hardcore levels, I have used my Hi-Lift twice, more out of curiosity than true need, but neither time did I actually need to use it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
So this may be a dumb question but how do you guys change a tire out on the road with the small bottle jack? I have 4.5" of lift and that bottle jack doesn't reach enough to get the tires off the ground. Do you pack around some type of base for that jack to sit on? I always thought the hi-lift jack was for changing tires when you go to lifted jeeps w/ big tires. Thanks for the tips.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,408 Posts
Gumpy, your 4.5" lift doesn't lift the axles and bottle jacks lifts the axle, not the frame. With 35" tires, the axle is only 2.5" higher off the ground than a stock Jeep with 30" tires.

This is a pic of the factory jack having lifted my 35" tire several inches off the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
In rare instances they can be handy. I've only used mine a couple of times too.

Saw a creative use for them - Jeep was buried in sticky mud. Trying to pull it straight out wasn't working.
2 Hi-lifts put together at the top with a bolt to form a triangle or "X." 2 wood bases under them, they were placed about 3 feet in front of the stuck Jeep. A winch cable was passed over the top of the Hi-lifts top, nestled between them in the top of the "X", then down to the Jeep's frame (the bumper had already been torn off trying to winch it forward.)

When pulled the winch cable pulled UP on the front of the Jeep - lifting it out of the sticky hole. As it pulled the Hi-lifts fell over backwards, the the cable continued pulling it forward.

Slick!

·
Registered
376 Posts
the high lift works well to change a tire if you use the lift mate which hooks into the wheel. Once you have the wheel up you can stick a jack stand or anything else under the axle to hold it up. I like that since it avoids having to jack up the tub. Also, if you use the lift mate it can help getting out of a hole or mud because you can jack the wheel up and stick a board under the wheel for some traction. I have a 60" but I wish i got the 48". It was a gift, so I'm not bitching. the 60" is just a big pain in the ass since it is too big for the interior. Mine rides on my tire carrier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've carried a highlift in my Jeep(s) for over 20 years. I've really only used it once-or-twice off-road, but those couple times nothing else would have worked. For me a highlift is kinda like insurance - when you need it, you're glad you have it. And since I don't know when I'll need it, I've always got it.

Get a 48" actual brand-name highlift jack and mount it somewhere INSIDE your Jeep (like behind the rear seat on the backside of the rollcage). Not on the hood, or on the bumpers. They sell kits to mount them there, or you can get creative and make one with muffler clamps. Mounted outside your Jeep it's subject to weather/dirt/etc. A highlift jack is a tool. Tell me what other tools you keep outside to get rained on?

If you have to mount it outside the Jeep, they do sell some sort of neoprene covers for the working mechanism.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Mounting the hilift on the OUTSIDE also means it can be hooked by a branch or a tree and get torn right off...not what you want to deal with on the trail. Mine (48" and I'm on 33's with 4" lift) goes up in the Garvin rack. In 6-7 years of wheeling I've seen them used many times, well, couple times a year on jeep jamborees, and one time was when my wife dropped off a sheer boulder and high centered...seen an idiot use one to change a tire...he had it jacked up the full length of the hilift to get the tire up...I have always carried a 12 ton bottle jack and lost count of how many times I have grabbed that to change a tire (several times for me, many many times for others) and also used it to lift up an axle to rebuild the diff on the trail when the axle bolt sheared off or something...I only watched, 3 other guys did the work and they were GLAD I had it because everyone else only had hi lifts. Our new hi lift, first one I bought, got it a year ago simple because we thought it about time...hasn't been touched yet. It is 'insurance'...you have it, you won't need it! There is a 60" one...but you won't need that unless you are seriously jacked up. AS for the bottle jacks, just keep a piece of 2 x 8 about a foot long under your seat for a base and the bottle jack in the back and you are set to jack up anyone. Put the jack under the shock mount, that's the lowest point. Unscrew the adjustable pipe until it touches and jack away! Just looked at the picture again, that's a screw jack...not a hydralic jack like I have...very old school! LOL...but probably never is out of fluid when you need it bad and haven't used it for months....

·
Registered
688 Posts
Lol!
If you live anywhere near SE WI you can buy mine off me for $20 bucks. It sits in the back hall way taking up space and collecting dust. I use the bottle jack!

C.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have a 48" and have used it ONCE in 3 years,I had to jack my buds Jeep's front end out of a hole worked great but yeah once in 3 years its just mounted to my hood collecting mud dust and rust

·
Registered
37 Posts
I saw some brackets on the net one day that mount a 48" highlift behind the rear seat between the roll bars...i was going to buy them but not after i saw that they wanted 100 bucks for two little brackets...being a welder and working at a machine shop i just made some brackets out of 2 1/2" muffler clamps...lol. it looks pretty good and is tucked out of the way safe from the weather and theft. Not to mention i only spent $3.54 on the clamps...lol I will post a pic as soon as i figure out how to from my phone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 48" and have used it ONCE in 3 years,I had to jack my buds Jeep's front end out of a hole worked great but yeah once in 3 years its just mounted to my hood collecting mud dust and rust
I've carried them since the '70's in one form or another. Your point hits the nail on the head, you may only use it a few times, but when you need it, you need it. I've used mine several times over the years, I rather have it than not; and wish I did. I have a hi-lift on the rear bumper of my Jeep I use off road.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
"""""lol I will post a pic as soon as i figure out how to from my phone. """"

I was going to call you but can't get a dial tone on my camera.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,408 Posts
I've carried them since the '70's in one form or another. Your point hits the nail on the head, you may only use it a few times, but when you need it, you need it. I've used mine several times over the years, I rather have it than not; and wish I did. I have a hi-lift on the rear bumper of my Jeep I use off road.
I've never worried about not having my Hi-Lift with me since I stopped carrying it 6-7 years ago. Where I wheel there are always lots of Jeeps around and if there are ten Jeeps in the area and it becomes known a Hi-Lift is needed, 8 of those 10 vehicles will be racing towards me wanting to use their Hi-Lifts. Not that I have actually needed one yet. In trade of me not carrying my own Hi-Lift, I have a winch, extraction tools, tools, and spare parts for those around me. :)

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I've never worried about not having my Hi-Lift with me since I stopped carrying it. Where I wheel there are always lots of Jeeps around and if there are ten Jeeps in the area and it becomes known a Hi-Lift is needed, 8 of those 10 vehicles will be racing towards me wanting to use their Hi-Lifts. Not that I have actually needed one yet. In trade of me not carrying my own Hi-Lift, I have a winch, extraction tools, tools, and spare parts for those around me. :)
Out here you can catch yourself alone, depending on the trail. I usually like to have at least one hi-lift handy, even in a group of two or three, just in case. In the spring & late fall, melting snow pack can make fugly mud holes & wash outs that will get you stuck. Most of the time there are trees around in those instances though, so winching might be possible. I could see high centering or broken oil pans being an issue in some places. You would need a Hi-Lift to crub some wood or rocks under the tires.

I have a buddy with a well weathered Hi-Lift, which he claims has saved his arse more than twice, while hunting in the mountains. Stuck to the fenders in muddy snow kinda stuff. Another buddy went snow wheeling alone (idiot), slid off the side of the trail down a hill about 20 ft into some trees. They needed a Hi-Lift, his winch and another vehicle to get him out.

All that said, I've never used mine off-road. I see the use for it though, for some types of wheeling.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts