Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size lift would be good got a 94 yj on 31s I was thinking 2.5 or 2with a 1 inch boom lift or just a 3 inch or something I’m not sure what size or combo to go with I drive trails and hunt on two tracks nothing crazy but I need some more clearance but I don’t want to be too top heavy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am okay with the 31s I don’t think I’ll go up in size on this Jeep but I’d like more clearance I was thinking 2.5 rough country and if it’s too small maybe do a little shackle lift or body lift I don’t want to go over 3.5 because I feel it would be too top heavy for what I’m doing

·
Registered
690 Posts
If all you want to do is clear the tires a little better, I'd recommend a small body lift. It's by far cheaper than any suspension lift, and you won't have any of the issues associated with changing the drive line geometry.

A one inch body lift will get it up enough clear the tires and not affect any other ride or handling characteristics. If you go with Rough Country, you will be disappointed after the springs start sagging 18 months later. For the kind of off road use you're talking about, you don't really need that additional suspension travel.

With a body lift though, there is a high probability that you'll have to do some cutting to get the existing bolts out with a 24 year old vehicle. I found on my YJ that my rear body mounts were gone, and I had to fab new perches. Under the seats, I had to open holes in the floor to get to the caged nuts that broke their cages. I also had to fab a new perch for the front under the radiator. So it's up to you, but if you're body mounts are rotted out anyway, you're still going to have to do that work, suspension lift or not. Might as well just do the work once.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I suggest driving a lifted Jeep first if you know someone who owns one...some folks don't love big lifts... could help make your decision

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have 31's and just finished putting a TrailMaster 2.5" lift. Great price and I'm very pleased with the look of the Jeep now. Previously the tires rubbed the fender flares on occasion.....now, no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts