Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 2dr. JK with 285/70/17 tires, factory wheels and just had a leveling kit/lift kit installed. I am not positive but I think it raised the rear like 1.75". 68,000 miles on it with factory shocks. Do I just order standard size shocks to replace or something else? I will have to take a new pic today to show you also. Thank you for the help in advance!

·
Registered
602 Posts
It looks like shock length doesn't become an issue until 2" of lift. I'm a newb so don't take my word, but I see a number of companies advertising shocks for 0-2" lift.
When I was researching a 2"/1" leveling kit, the consensus was that stock length are fine. That said, the Rancho 2" kit I bought which lifted 1.25" rear included shocks for a 3" lift.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
2013 2dr. JK with 285/70/17 tires, factory wheels and just had a leveling kit/lift kit installed. I am not positive but I think it raised the rear like 1.75". 68,000 miles on it with factory shocks. Do I just order standard size shocks to replace or something else? I will have to take a new pic today to show you also. Thank you for the help in advance!
If you have a leveling kit, which either adds small spacers to the front and rear to slightly raise the ride height and level out the stance or uses slightly longer springs to achieve the same results, you want shocks that are the same length as stock or close to it. Since the leveling kit doesn't include bump stop extensions or anything else that a lift would include to change the suspension range of travel it would still need shocks that are at least as short compressed as the stock shocks. Swapping over to longer shocks, that can't compress as short as the stock shocks, could cause issues as the shocks would bottom before the bump stops halted up travel.
There are a few options for stock or near stock length shocks. Rancho makes a few versions, plus Bilstein, Fox, and OME for starts.
You can also look at the Rancho 2" progressive spring lift if you are thinking of going with the Rancho shocks. For around $100 more than the cost of the Rancho shocks the lift throws in a set of four progressive springs that lift the front around 2.4" and the rear around 1.5". It is kinda a leveling lift on steroids.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts