Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard to use 4x6,5 1/4. and 6 1/2 in the front. And I have heard to go with the same speaker size in the roll bar? If price isn't a factor, and all sizes are from the same line (say Alpine Type R) what sizes should I be using?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
In TJ's the stock is 4x6. You can go 5.25 with Adapters. The popular one being made by Nalin. JK's have 6.5, in front.

For the best soundstage, most people agree that its best to go with the same speaker all around: That being 5.25 in front, and 5.25 in back.

You can even polyfil the front ones to bring the sound out more. I added too much polyfil to my front speakers, and really threw off the balance. I'll experiment in time to get it just right.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
My universal recommendation for TJs is a 5.25" round coaxial up front with an adapter so they fit into the 4x6 opening, Nalin's is very good. Most install 6.5" in the sound bar with good reviews of the results, me included.

Polk makes speakers with the right sensitivity to be a good match for a standard head unit without an external amplifier, I recommend their DB series. Some speakers that advertise huge wattage ratings require more power than any head unit without an aux amplifier can deliver so avoid speakers that brag about a high power rating. A speaker that brags about 250 watts on the box may need 50-75 watts minimum to drive it which would sound crappy with a head unit that could only deliver, for example, 18-22 watts which is common.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well then I should mention that I am planning on adding an external amp for the speakers. Right now I am looking at an Alpine MRP-F300 paired with Polk DB521 in front and DB521 or DB651 in the roll bar.

Just trying to figure if I need the 6.5 in the back, or 5.25. On one side, I want it to sound good when I have the top and the doors on, so I would lean towards the 5.25. On the other hand, I want to hear it when I am "naked", so that leans me more towards the 6.5.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just go to crutchfield and give them your vehicle stats. They'll throw in your vehicle adapter and mounts for free. Plus they have reviews on most of their items.

I just replaced front and back speakers in my TJ for about $89 with MTX Terminator's. They sound great!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Whatever speakers you decide upon, I would really look for some good bass, as in a subwoofer. A Coaxial speaker really doesn't have much bass, as it is basically a mid-range speaker and a tweeter. Otherwise, when you add an amp, you will just get a louder thin sound. A loud fat sound is much more soothing on the ears, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Just go to crutchfield and give them your vehicle stats. They'll throw in your vehicle adapter and mounts for free. Plus they have reviews on most of their items.

I just replaced front and back speakers in my TJ for about $89 with MTX Terminator's. They sound great!
I hope you are aware that those speakers are only 35wattsRMS and what that means.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
I hope you are aware that those speakers are only 35wattsRMS and what that means.
We've gone over this before... his head unit can't even come close to putting out more than 20-22 watts RMS so speakers rated to 35 watts RMS are perfectly fine. This is VERY basic and simple electronics. Perhaps a better understanding of the mathematical differences between RMS, peak, peak-to-peak, effective, and "music power" watts would help.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
We've gone over this before... his head unit can't even come close to putting out more than 20-22 watts RMS so speakers rated to 35 watts RMS are perfectly fine. This is VERY basic and simple electronics. Perhaps a better understanding of the mathematical differences between RMS, peak, peak-to-peak, effective, and "music power" watts would help.
Most head units these days are high powered headunits with a built in amp. I am sure that you know this. The high powered head units put out a distorted 50watts. This will quickly wear out and blow 35watt speakers. Some of them even give the THD value of nearly 10% THD. 50watts at 10% THD will quickly blow out 35wattRMS speakers.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Give me a link to a head unit with more than 20-22 RMS watts per channel without using an external amplifier. I'm talking RMS, not some inflated Peak, Peak-to-Peak Effective, Music Power, etc. wattage rating that misleads way too many car audio enthusiasts.

Too many car audio nuts who think they know everything really understand very little in reality about the various ways wattages are measured and the true mathematical differences between RMS and the rest of the other types of mostly misleading wattage ratings.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree with jerry. There are no headunits supplying 50wpc unless u add something like a power pack. Just another example of miss information by chas.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Give me a link to a head unit with more than 20-22 RMS watts per channel without using an external amplifier. I'm talking RMS, not some inflated Peak, Peak-to-Peak Effective, Music Power, etc. wattage rating that misleads way too many car audio enthusiasts.

Too many car audio nuts who think they know everything really understand very little in reality about the various ways wattages are measured and the true mathematical differences between RMS and the rest of the other types of mostly misleading wattage ratings.
Give me a second while I take the knife out of my back, okay. my friend. Ha!

DEH-150MP - Pioneer Single DIN Car Stereo With MP3 Playback at Abt

Built-In MOSFET 50W x 4 Amplifier

Audio

• Built-In Amplifier: MOSFET 50 W x 4

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I agree with jerry. There are no headunits supplying 50wpc unless u add something like a power pack. Just another example of miss information by chas.
I am not always right, nor am I always wrong. Just because I don't agree with some strange idea that you have about using amp gain to reduce volume.

So, you can continue to take shots at me if it makes you feel better about yourself.:iamhappy:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Give me a second while I take the knife out of my back, okay. my friend. Ha!

DEH-150MP - Pioneer Single DIN Car Stereo With MP3 Playback at Abt

Built-In MOSFET 50W x 4 Amplifier

Audio

• Built-In Amplifier: MOSFET 50 W x 4
Nope I specifically said RMS watts, try again. That Pioneer DEH150MP you tried to use as your proof only puts out 14 watts RMS per channel, that 50 watts you claimed is only Peak watts.

Check out the Features and Specs page at http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Mobile/App/Product/Item/Specs.aspx?i=130150MP&tp=5684 for its true complete specifications.

Were you just trying to fool us or do you really not understand the difference between RMS watts and the other wattage types like Peak? It took me maybe 30 seconds to find that receiver's true RMS power rating... because I knew immediately that 50 watts per channel you claimed was not even close to its real RMS rating.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am not always right, nor am I always wrong. Just because I don't agree with some strange idea that you have about using amp gain to reduce volume.

So, you can continue to take shots at me if it makes you feel better about yourself.:iamhappy:
I don't take shots. I make sure that people have correct information. Not incorrect made up ideas that you think are gospel.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My favorite was when he linked it and then quoted it all smug like. Reading his posts is actually quite hilarious and sad at the same time. Most head units have a built in amp? Really?? You mean like, all of them?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I don't take shots. I make sure that people have correct information. Not incorrect made up ideas that you think are gospel.
You are the one trying to mislead people because you want to be thought of as the "kingcat". I never believe that my information is the "gospel". Nor, do you have any idea what I think. Nor, did I ever say that my information was the gospel. You are clearly misleading people, in trying to put words into my mouth, by pretending that you know how I think. You sir, have some greater issues.

Just because someone has an idea what the problem might be with a mechanical malfunction doesn't mean it's the right diagnosis. And, you don't always give correct information. Neither do I, neither do you and neither does Jerry. Unless, of course either of you thinks that he is perfect. And if you do, I believe you are the ones trying to play Gods. You do it in your attitude and your false accusations against me. I'll tell you both something right now, you are not always right, nor are you perfect.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
My favorite was when he linked it and then quoted it all smug like. Reading his posts is actually quite hilarious and sad at the same time. Most head units have a built in amp? Really?? You mean like, all of them?
How old are you like, 15? You sure act like it. If you want to hurl insults, you should look in the mirror. You act quite snob and immature. Like some grade school child teaming up on someone. Ready to cast another stone, right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts