Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just lifted my Jeep 3.5 inches and coincidentally I need new tires now. I kinda like the stock wheels and would like to put 37x12.5x17s on. Is that a thing?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
So I just lifted my Jeep 3.5 inches and coincidentally I need new tires now. I kinda like the stock wheels and would like to put 37x12.5x17s on. Is that a thing?
It's a thing, but not what I would call a good thing. 12.5 wide on stock rims will be a problem, imo. I think the rim range on a 12.5 is 8"-11", so even if you found a place that would actually put one on your stock rims, it will bulge out awful and go down the road like a parade float.
IMO. YMMV

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The stock rims are 7.5" wide. Like Bobnh mentioned, the 12.5s would probably start at 8" for the manufacturer recommended width. Most brand name tire shops will not disregard the manufacturer recommendations mostly due to liability.

Even if you find someone to do it there are 2 more things that you really need to do.
1) Calibration. I used to recommend the AEV ProCal, but for $20ish more, you get an easier interface with the FlashCal. This will calibrate the Jeep computer for shift points, ABS and other safety features. $189
2) Heaven forbid you have 3.21s. I had 3.73 and put on the 35s before my re-gear and it was not happy. Felt like a semi trying to get up to speed. Regear $1800ish

To do it the right way, welcome to the Just Empty Every Pocket world.

Reactions: Bobnh

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for help everyone. I guess I'll be throwing on some new wheels. I have 4.10 gears and 6-speed trans so I think I'll be able to hold out on regearing... At least for a little while.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Wouldn't do 37's if I were you....you're gonna need to add some stuff to your front axle to run those....and all your front end components will need an upgrade sooner than later....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that's all good info... I guess I'll be going with 35's, at least the cost difference is enough to cover new wheels. Thanks everyone for the input

·
Super Moderator
15,738 Posts
The stock wheels are just outside the recommendation for a 12.5", but they'll work. We ran them on our '16 with no issues. 315/70/17, the Goodyear store installed them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts