Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Need help buying new tires, what size tires can I put on my 2003 TJ with 15 inch rims and a 2 inch lift? I am considering new rims, can I go 16 inch rims while I am at it? I know nothing right now other than how to replace the U joints (which I just figured out after blowing one out on the trails). The stock tires might as well be lawnmower tires...they look like shit..Can the 2 inch lift handle 32 inch tires...i have no clue....what rim/tire options are there ..the springs say Teraflex, so I am assuming it has springs and lift, and not just a body lift...but need to check in the morning....

I want the AMERICAN RACING AR62 OUTLAW II Silver Machined w/Clearcoat tims with 32" tires, is this doable? what do I need to do with the driveline? Do I need new gears? I believe it is a dana 35 rear, but will check the gear ratio tomorrow after the rain stops....i am such a noob, but it's my first jeep ....and definitely NOT my last, i love it...:worthy:

I know I know, way too many questions,

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You'll get better answers from others, as I'm slightly new to the whole Jeep modding scene, but I just recently installed some 17 inch Willys wheels on my 2002 Jeep TJ, with 255/75R17 tires, and they fit just fine and don't rub anything while turning. I don't ride the Jeep offroad yet, but if I did, I'm told the tires would contact the fender when the suspension starts flexing a lot. I believe a 2 inch lift would be sufficient to remedy the problem, but if you're asking if a stock TJ can fit a 32 inch tire with a 2" lift, the answer is yes.

As far as wheel size goes, I don't think that really factors into the equation, as a 31 inch tire on a 15 inch wheel is still the same size as a 31 inch tire on a 17 inch wheel, the difference is how much wheel is there vs. how much rubber. The important thing to note is your wheel stud spacing, and make sure you either get wheels with the proper spacing, or buy adapters. (I had to buy adapters to fit the Willys wheels to my TJ).

EDIT: I missed your other questions. No, you won't need to do anything with the driveline, at least not anything that you haven't already dealt with the 2" lift. The larger tires won't affect driveline angles. You may need to regear though. I have stock gears in my TJ, and I noticed a considerable change in my driving after adding the much larger tires. I can now cruise around town in 3rd gear, where I used to hit 4th a lot. I'm downshifting a lot more on the highway from 5th to 4th as well. I believe most will tell you to regear to at least 4.10 to get your ratios back in line, but if you offroad more than daily drive, you may want to go more toward 4.56 or 4.88.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
31 10.50's

You could go to a 16" wheel but 15's will allow the tires to flex better off road

·
Registered
808 Posts
31 10.50's

You could go to a 16" wheel but 15's will allow the tires to flex better off road
x2. You could go 32's but the 31's will flex up in the fender wells nicely. And your engine will like turning smaller tires.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What engine, gears and transmission do you have?
Lift and tires size is irrelevant if your drive train can't adequately turn them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THanks!! These forums are awesome, Jeep owners are one of a kind people. I will check the gearing on the front and rear diff when it stops friggin raining!
Thanks guys,

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
If you post what your Jeep is (x, sport, Sahara, Rubi... 2.5L, 4L, auto, manual) we'll be able to tell you what stock gears it has, you can also look your vin up on Jeeps website, google "Jeep build sheet" the first page will bring you though it. It will have what your Jeep came with from.the factory, it doesn't sound like the previous owners messed with it too much, driveline is probably stock.

Regearing is expensive, and requires a high level of skill and tools to do yourself. I ran 33s on some of my old Jeeps with stock gears, it's not terribly fun on the road. I'd go with what these guys said 31s, you can do 32s also with minimal rub on flex with that lift. If you want to end up with 33's you may want to end up regearing, and also new axles as the tires get bigger... Lots and lots to do to put big tires on and not brake shit.

15" rims are much more popular and have a wider variety, cheaper and way more tire choices. But 16s are fine too, rubis come stock with 16's. Whatever rocks your socks man.

Edit: missed some points.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Max tire diameter: 32"

You can go with 31s if you'd like, they will look fine. I personally have no issue stuffing my 32" tires on a 2.5" lift but maybe it's just that extra .5" that help;)

Here's 32" tires with a 2.5" lift at max flex
ForumRunner_20170620_182058.jpg

ForumRunner_20170620_182124.jpg

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Seeing as how 32's have 1/2" more radius I'd say that 1/2" lift likely does matter ;-D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts