Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just at the dealer and they had a JKU with Toyo 315's on aftermarket wheels and the tires were sticking out beyond the top of the fender flare by at least 2"-3". Sure looked like the tires would rip the flare right off.

Do 35x12.5x17's on the standard 4.5" backspacing rims stick out beyond the fender flairs at all?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
This is 285s (10.2") without backspacing which is right at the edge that took care of my suspension rub but gave me fender rub. The stock wheel has 6.25". The 4.5" backspacing will move the tire out 1.75" and makes the fender rub worse. I have found out the hard way that If you want zero rub with anything wider than stock, you will have to have backspaced tires or adapter AND a lift to raise the fenders to take care of that fender rub.

If you look here http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/wyld-willy-1577746.html at post #14 you see the comparisons between stock with 285s, with adapters, then with lift and 4.5bs rims. The middle one (285 & spacers no lift) was the worst because it did move the tire out to the bottom of the flare.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I am looking for is no rubbing or hitting the fender flares. I want the tires to stay inside the wheel well and not stick out beyond the flares.

My setup is a JKU RHR with a Teraflex 2.5" coil lift.

Based upon the above criteria:

1. What size tires can I run with the stock Rubicon rims?

2. With aftermarket rims, what size tires/rim backspace combination will work?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts