Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance. I'm going to be pulling my transmission/transfer case in the next week or so and am thinking it's a good idea to replace my U joints as they look pretty crusty. Does anyone know the correct size for the front and rear shafts? I'm partial to the Timken greaseless style if they make them for a 91.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Thanks in advance. I'm going to be pulling my transmission/transfer case in the next week or so and am thinking it's a good idea to replace my U joints as they look pretty crusty. Does anyone know the correct size for the front and rear shafts? I'm partial to the Timken greaseless style if they make them for a 91.
If you are asking about what series, they are 1310’s. If you want to know specific sizes, the OAD of the cap is 1.062”, (1 1/16”), with the OAW being 3.219”.

Not discounting any Timken product, but in this application I use Dana/Spicer. I have installed dozens (easily) of Spicer u-joints over the years and consider them to be the best in the business.

Again, not discounting any Timken product (I use a lot of their product line), and this is only my opinion. The Spicer part number for your application (sealed, non-greasable, synthetic seal) is 51310X (if I remember correctly, I am sipping on a cocktail with my girlfriend and too relaxed to go look), but you could certainly cross reference to a Timken if so desired.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the intel. I think I must have been sipping cocktails too because my title has '89, but I have a '91?! I ran into the Dana/Spicer 51310X also. I swear that's what I was thinking when I wrote Timken. I used the Spicer greaseless on my corvette and was really happy with them. I'm going that route for all four.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts