Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the factory skids what are the minimum skids needed? I am planning on ACE rocker guards, steering skid and oil pan skid. What else?

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
4,645 Posts
springr said:
Besides the factory skids what are the minimum skids needed? I am planning on ACE rocker guards, steering skid and oil pan skid. What else?
Depends on your style of wheeling, I'd do a steering box skid too

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Oil pan protection is the #1 priority, the gas tank is the #1 with early TJs having inadeqate protection for the gas tank. What year TJ do you have? I don't recall exactly when the factory went to an adequate skidplate for the gas tank, sometime in the 2000-2001 timeframe or so.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Oil pan protection is the #1 priority, the gas tank is the #1 with early TJs having inadeqate protection for the gas tank. What year TJ do you have? I don't recall exactly when the factory went to an adequate skidplate for the gas tank, sometime in the 2000-2001 timeframe or so.
Jerry, will the 00-01 factory skid fit an earlier model (99) TJ? You never know what you might come across at the local junkyard!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I think the 2003+ models have the stouter tank skid. What lift and tire size are you running or planning on?

Gas skids should be compatible throughout the 97-06 period, at least I think... The 00-01 skid still maintains the flimsy design that I used to run.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
The stouter gas tank skids came on 03-06 TJ's.

I consider steering box skids and oil pan skids mandatory. They're cheap and protect two items that can quickly end your day. After that, I'd look at gas tank and tub protection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any reccommendations on where to get oil pan, auto trans and steering box skids? Mine is an 03 Wrangler. All stock. I may put a 2"BB lift on by next summer.

·
Registered
504 Posts
IslandTJ said:
I think the 2003+ models have the stouter tank skid. What lift and tire size are you running or planning on?

Gas skids should be compatible throughout the 97-06 period, at least I think... The 00-01 skid still maintains the flimsy design that I used to run.
The gas tank skids are a direct swap. I swapped my 98 for an 03-06 and it was no problem at all. Bolted right up

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Any reccommendations on where to get oil pan, auto trans and steering box skids? Mine is an 03 Wrangler. All stock. I may put a 2"BB lift on by next summer.
Depends on what you're looking for. Look at Under Cover Fab for some awesome skids that protect both the engine and transmission. I believe their engine skid will bolt up to your existing transfercase skid plate and also their new ones if you ever decide to do a tummy tuck.

Steering box skids are even simpler; they're all pretty much the same. I like my Rokmen skid.

That is just one option for each. There are many out there; time to start searching.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Oil Pan
Gas tank
Steering box
Rockers
diff covers

That's the order of what i hit the most. If it weren't for my UCF engine skid my transmission/oil pan would be hammered. My stock 05 gas tank is dented pretty badly, and may get an upgrade soon. And if it weren't for my steering box skid that would be hit several times already. :)

Depending on what you do i might start with rockers. Dented tubs aren't cool. Diff covers are at the bottom of the list, I've only whacked my front one a few times enough to where i was glad to have the beefier cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts