Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 sahara unlimited in Rhino. It comes with u connect. I have radio without the screen. The sound is horrible. I was just wondering what speakers did every go with. Also how many speakers are in the jeep and what are the sizes? I wanted to get a sub that looks like stock but will be ok without if i can get component speakers with son bass.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There are 8 speakers: two 6.5s in the lower dash and two 3.5s in the upper dash plus two 6.5s and 3.5s in the soundbar above your head.

A lot of folks go with Kickers for the 6.5s because they're especially easy as they use the same OEM connectors. Some replace just the four midrange. Others replace them all.

I elected to go with Focal's for all eight. Why,? I dunno, they just sounded good, lol, and they play everything with a French accent (kidding).

Be prepared to be shocked at how crummy the OEM speakers are when you pull them out. Like kid's toy stereo bad. You'll instantly know you made the right decision to replace them.

While I was shopping around for speakers I discovered that head units have come a long way since I last shopped for one 20 years ago--surprise!--and fell in love with Kenwood's DNX893s. So my advice is don't go in the HU room and you won't know what you're missing and you will save yourself a mess of money. After looking at this new crop of HUs, the 130 had to go.

The new HU provided another quantum leap in audio quality as well as a ton of features I didn't have before but at that point I thought, aw what the hell it's only money, and I got an Alpine pre-amp and a Kenwood subwoofer. The Kenwood/Focals sounded great but with better speakers I could tell I really needed a subwoofer. The result wasn't as dramatic as replacing the OEM speakers and HU but still well worth the extra dough.

Another thread you may find helpful: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/post-your-sound-systems-1957706.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed two sets of the 77KICK10 speakers (dash and soundbar). For the price it was an awesome upgrade. I will probably still upgrade to a Kenwood head unit with more output, but I can at least wait for a while now.

·
Super Moderator
2,774 Posts
I had an Alpine upgrade done. I had all the speakers done and a small in dash amp installed. I'm looking at installing the kicker hideaway and a headunit next

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went with the Kicker CS series speakers. I have the components in the sound bar and coax in the dash. I would have also put the components in the dash buuuuuuut I ended up damaging one in the 8 months it lived in a mounting ring but not in a box.

I ran fresh cable for everything in the Jeep. The speakers are wired up to a 5 channel Alpine PDR-V75 getting signal from a Pioneer App Radio 4. Additionally, the amp is driving a Pioneer TSSWX2502 which is a 10" shallow mount sub in a box pre-fab box that will be mounted on the inside of the tailgate (and not just sitting on the floor) by the end of the weekend. All in all, I love how it sounds now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I called Best Buy to get pricing and ask about upgrading my stock speakers they told me it wasn't possiable without changing he head unit or it would sound like crap. Is here any truth in this?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I originally got the Mopar Kicker replacements. Within the next few weeks I will be replacing them with a full Rockford Fosgate system. The speakers are Element Ready 6.5" with 1" tweeters built in. They are marine rated audio.

·
Super Moderator
2,774 Posts
So I called Best Buy to get pricing and ask about upgrading my stock speakers they told me it wasn't possiable without changing he head unit or it would sound like crap. Is here any truth in this?

No not true lol. I had a professional stereo shop that installs Alpine speakers. They added a small 80 watt amp and it sounds good. But... a better head unit will be.. better lol

·
Registered
688 Posts
The Kicker speaker upgrade will sound better but if you really want good sound change the HU too. The stock HU doesn't have the power to drive the new speakers to their potential. I was just going to replace my speakers but ended up replacing the HU and adding an under seat powered sub. Well worth it, and I got Bluetooth with the deal too. Makes talking on the phone a lot easier when you drive a manual, and you can stream all your music from your phone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts