Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
Boss = Junk.

Stick with Pioneer and you'll almost never go wrong.

Personally, I did a Clarion head unit and Memphis speakers. It's all a matter of taste really, all the leading brands will usually do you right.

You will need a wiring harness to hook the head unit up. The speakers can be wired by simply cutting the factory connectors off and splicing the wires.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Ok, they make two different adapter brackets for a TJ. One is for a 4x6 and the other is for a 5.25...the choice is yours really. You need brackets either way. I never use wiring adapters since they can potentially cause problems. I just cut the factory plug off and crimp on the correct size female connector for the speaker and go on.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
This guy makes great speaker adapters for the fronts if you go to 5.25's... :) Great price too... Nalin Manufacturing

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I would say to check out the forum on caraudio.com they have a large amount of people selling used and new electronics. You could get a good deal on a head unit and speakers. If you want to be able to here everything when on the highway with the top down you might need some stronger speakers

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've decided to go with that head unit, and those speakers for my needs. That puts me under $200. Do you really think I'll have trouble hearing with the top down if I go that route? I was listening to my stock speakers today... and they're not bad for a 98'. I do have some trouble when it's open though.

·
Registered
988 Posts
As long as youre not on the highway too much I think you'll be fine...but even still, a sound bar really helps. Personally I wouldve put the 200 towards a soundbar, then upgraded the sound bar speakers and the head unit at the same time. But that's just me.
I have a sound bar in my 1992 Wrangler. I left the stock dash speakers in. Bought a DEH-P5200HD head unit from Pioneer and TS-D1602R 6 inch speakers from Pioneer to put in the sound bar. Between the High Def radio and the speakers, it sounds really good. Can't wait to amp it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts