Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the bazooka tube 8in self powered and I'm not happy with it at all... What do you guys run? And anyone know how to get more power out of a sub? Mainly talking about self amplified so I don't have to worry about the space it takes up

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I bought one of these $27 Pyle 8" subs from Wallymart, Pyle Blue Wave Series 8" 800W High-Powered Subwoofer - Walmart.com and built a little box to set on the hump right behind the console where it wouldn't interfere if I wanted to ride kids in the back seat, and bought an inexpensive Boss AR1200.2 Amp from Fry's that fits under the driver's seat perfect. The amp was <$100. I was not expecting much for the amount I had invested but it works awesome.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I like the Infinity BassLink. Sounds good and has a built in amp. Thumps well and is easily removable if you need to. Fits well with the Instatrunk to make it safe. Had it in my YJ but haven't put it in my TJ yet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Im looking for a powered sub as well. Ive been loooking at the sound ordnace for under the rear seat or the kicker hideaway. Poissibly the basslink but im not too sure

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I run a 10" Alpine sub with custum ported box powered by Alpine's matched monoblock amp. Very satisfied with the combo. Deck quality also plays a factor in sound quality and I am happy with the pioneer line of products.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I run two 10 in Lanzar subs with a pioneer amp. Very happy though it can be overpowering...the system was originally in my integra though. ^^^I agree, the deck improves mixing especially.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I bought my Jeep with 2 subs in the back and an amp under my seat. Took up my entire "trunk". It practically shook my mirrors off. Trying to sell it now. Wouldn't mind a small sub however I used up all my RCA slots. Oh well!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
and ironically I blew my sub today... Oh well, it had a long life. They never do last that long in a jeep. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kicker comp 10 in a sealed truck box.
Pioneer 900 watt amp.
I'm overpowering the living HELL out of it but it's holding up so long as I don't crank it and make it catch fire. That would suck.
The 10 is only temporary anyway until I can figure out how to lift my back seat and stuff a 12 under it.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Replaced the stock center console sub with a pyramid 6.5 sub. It's held up well over the years & draws no attention. I've seen guys install amps behind the dash & I might get around to that one day, but for the most part she serves me well as is.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I didn't want to give up any space so after blowing up two small compact powered subs, I built my own out of some scrap 1/2" cabinet grade plywood. Raised the back seat about 1/2", built the biggest but still shallow box that I could get under it, mounted two 6x9 pioneer coaxial speakers that I won for test driving a new Ford diesel, the amp is mounted to the base on the passenger side (still under the seat). I have a cheap Dual 2 channel 400 watt (I think) amp that i drive off of RCA subouts from my head unit. I have one Kenwood midrange in the left side of the speaker bar, one Memphis Audio coaxial on the right side (by PO) and 4x6 Pioneer coaxials in the front installed by PO. Works great with top on and still great with only bikini top up to 45mph. For highway speeds, really need a 4 channel amp so I could drive the rears in the speaker bar also. Put a 5 pin trailer connector on it for power, 2 terminals for hot, 2 for ground and the blue wire for the amp remote. When I'm going to the river to wheel, I unplug the connector, remove the whole unit, and still have low volume tunes for the road trip. When I'm wheelin, I listen to the Jeep. Have about $70 or $80 in the whole package.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Alpine pdx-v9 powering a sundown audio 10", about 500 watts in a ported box in the trunk. You can mount the amp on either side of the rear seat on top of the wheel wells. If trunk space is needed, just unplug the box and you can take it out without having to worry about the amp.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Infinity Basslink kicks arse. Ironically, I have one for sale from my Mazdaspeed3 that I am bout to sell. For the Jeep, I built a custom box inside the bottom of the rear seat and have 2 Pioneer 8's in there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I mostly did this just to surprise people, I do not leave it in the jeep. It turns some heads though. 2 Fosgate T1 12s. It takes up the whole back seat area xD

ForumRunner_20140429_221340.jpg

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just bought the bazooka tube 8in self powered and I'm not happy with it at all... What do you guys run? And anyone know how to get more power out of a sub? Mainly talking about self amplified so I don't have to worry about the space it takes up
Bazooka tubes are very sensitive to where you mount them for the best sound. While I prefer the sound of a traditional sealed box sub, a tube has its advantages. Try putting it in different locations and pointing in different directions. You may be surprised how it works. If its tucked behind the back seat you just don't have the power or SPL to reach the front like a sub/box with three times the wattage.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts