Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe one way to describe me is Frasier Crane with a Wrangler ... little to no knowledge about automotive systems, but I want to learn (yet will probably still end up paying someone to do it). So I have been reading these forums for two months, getting great info (thanks!) and recently started thinking about doing a lift on my 2012 JK 2-door Sport. Let's see if I have this straight after reading dozens of threads:

I want a suspension lift, not a waste of time body lift, and it should be 2" because if it is 2.5" or more I might have to replace my drive shafts, and either TeraFlex with Bilstein shocks or an AEV. I need to decide on my tire size first, and my stock 16" tires are 32s and I can do 33s or possibly 35s but need to check for rubbing on the 35s. Duratracs are a great tire choice, and they should be blacked out on 17" rims that are black with a little silver. None of this should affect my mileage or handling much if at all, and next I should consider a winch and winch plate so I can start dabbling in wheeling (even though I will likely become hopelessly stuck at the first obstacle). I'm not really sure what role spacers play of if I need them, or whether I need to change any other parts for a lift.

I know people may have different opinions on brands, but other than that, am I close? I also need to find a good Denver/Boulder area shop to do at least some of this, because as eager as I am, I currently have no idea how to do it. Thanks for all the very informative posts.:surrender:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Talk to Adair at Pollard Motors/Trail Jeeps. His number is 303-817-9833. He can answer all your questions. I have bought 3 Jeeps from them and they have done my lift, tires, wheels, etc. Highly recommended. Tell him Tom referred you.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I want a suspension lift, not a waste of time body lift, and it should be 2" because if it is 2.5" or more I might have to replace my drive shafts,
2.5" lifts are generally fine. It's when you start going to 3" and up that driveshafts start to get sketchy.

either TeraFlex with Bilstein shocks or an AEV.
I've heard mixed reviews on TeraFlex shocks. Most folks like the Bilsteins. I like my Old Man Emus. I've heard good things about the adjustable Rancho ones, but those are pretty pricey I believe.

I'm familiar with the company AEV, but they don't make shocks, so I'm not sure what's being asked regarding AEV.

I need to decide on my tire size first, and my stock 16" tires are 32s and I can do 33s or possibly 35s but need to check for rubbing on the 35s.
Generally no. Tires wider than about 11" on stock wheels will need wheel spacers, whether they're 33" or 35" in diameter.

Duratracs are a great tire choice, and they should be blacked out on 17" rims that are black with a little silver.
They are a good choice. Whether they "should" be on black wheels with "a little silver" is up to you. And FYI, smaller wheel set ups are usually cheaper--i.e., 15" or 16" wheels with 33s to match are likely to be cheaper than 17" wheels with 33s to match.

None of this should affect my mileage or handling much if at all,
33s probably not, 35s should drop some mpgs and bog you down a bit. Especially if you've only got 3.21 gears . . . do you know your gear ratio?

next I should consider a winch and winch plate so I can start dabbling in wheeling (even though I will likely become hopelessly stuck at the first obstacle).
Fine. Don't go alone though in any event.

I'm not really sure what role spacers play of if I need them, or whether I need to change any other parts for a lift.
Answered above.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly, I have the stock 3.21 gear ratio ... something I learned about after I bought the Jeep. Thanks, C6, for the Pollard recomendation (I'm in Westminster as well). MTH, thanks ... AEV was about lift only. I really need to see examples of wheels and tires with specs ... i get the XX/XX/XX way of sixing tires, but I don't quite get the 32, 33, 35, 37 and how they relate to XX/XX/XX or rim size.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Ottis said:
Sadly, I have the stock 3.21 gear ratio ... something I learned about after I bought the Jeep. Thanks, C6, for the Pollard recomendation (I'm in Westminster as well). MTH, thanks ... AEV was about lift only. I really need to see examples of wheels and tires with specs ... i get the XX/XX/XX way of sixing tires, but I don't quite get the 32, 33, 35, 37 and how they relate to XX/XX/XX or rim size.
Shoot me a pm and you can come look at mine if you like. I can answer some of your questions.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm with you on this one...new to Wranglers and off road, but I really have zero hobbies (I know sad, right?) and I've never really been one to turn a wrench myself (other than usual small (and I mean small) stuff).

Learning what I can here and when I get good information and see someone else has the same question I try to help too.

Now, my Jeep is becomming my hobby. I've done all the things to it this year I can afford to do (Duratracs, new wheels, JL Audio system, tinted windows) and so until I can afford to lift it next year I'm just doing small stuff now...stubby antennax, doing the grill mod right now (black paint is drying as I type this), VHT the blinkers and tail lights, gas cover etc etc etc...

I figure next year I can likely get the lift done and *might* be able to top it off with the new bumpers & winch, but likely (and sadly) that may have to wait until the following year - considering doing that in reverse though, bumpers & winch next spring and lift the following year?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
2.5" lifts are generally fine. It's when you start going to 3" and up that driveshafts start to get sketchy.

I've heard mixed reviews on TeraFlex shocks. Most folks like the Bilsteins. I like my Old Man Emus. I've heard good things about the adjustable Rancho ones, but those are pretty pricey I believe.

I'm familiar with the company AEV, but they don't make shocks, so I'm not sure what's being asked regarding AEV.

Generally no. Tires wider than about 11" on stock wheels will need wheel spacers, whether they're 33" or 35" in diameter.

They are a good choice. Whether they "should" be on black wheels with "a little silver" is up to you. And FYI, smaller wheel set ups are usually cheaper--i.e., 15" or 16" wheels with 33s to match are likely to be cheaper than 17" wheels with 33s to match.

33s probably not, 35s should drop some mpgs and bog you down a bit. Especially if you've only got 3.21 gears . . . do you know your gear ratio?

Fine. Don't go alone though in any event.

Answered above.

^^^ This alone is worth the $$ for a supporting membership. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
tammychad said:
C6Rubicon, what set up are you running it looks really good!!
Thanks :) 3.5" AEV Lift 35x12.5 Goodyear MTR's AEV Savegre wheels AEV front & rear bumpers AEV spare tire carrier Warn 9.5 CTI Winch. Tomorrow adding the AEV sway bar skid plate and Ace rock rails.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts