Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tires are best for off-roading...like which one lasts the long and have better grip...I am using Mickey Thompson - LT285/70R17 tires at the moment.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon
19 Posts
Good grip and long lasting are generally mutually exclusive. Tires grip by wearing. It also depends on your definition of off road. Do you have to deal with mud? Do you drive on sand? Is it rocky terrain you need to conquer? There are different off road tires for different purposes. BFG AT KO2's are excellent all around but not great in mud. MT tires are good in mud but compromised on the road. There are a hundred choices depending on your needs.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Long lasting never factored into my buying decisions, but BFG KO2’s would be my choice for an “all around”

I have Maxxis Trepador’s (Bias) MTs on my JKU, because “on-road” manners didn’t mean anything to me..... I put Patagonia MT’s on my JK, and wish I had KO2s instead, and that’s only because it’s used primarily on-road, but only 1500-2000 miles a year. I just don’t find the Pats to be worth the road manners sacrifice

·
Super Moderator
6,503 Posts
Yeah, "offroading" is not a single category. So there isn't a single tire that could be called "best".
What sort of offroading you do makes a big difference. We avoid mud whenever possible, I hate what it does to the Jeep,so a mud tire would not be best for us. For us, an AT like the KO2 would probably be best. Currently we have Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they work well enough. They are better off road than the KO2 (slightly) but not as good on road (more than slightly).
Other good options for anything short of mud include Falken AT3W and Toyo Open Country AT3.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yeah, "offroading" is not a single category. So there isn't a single tire that could be called "best".
What sort of offroading you do makes a big difference. We avoid mud whenever possible, I hate what it does to the Jeep,so a mud tire would not be best for us. For us, an AT like the KO2 would probably be best. Currently we have Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they work well enough. They are better off road than the KO2 (slightly) but not as good on road (more than slightly).
Other good options for anything short of mud include Falken AT3W and Toyo Open Country AT3.
Mud is awful I agree.
I notice almost every serious rock crawler uses a Mud terrain tire though.

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sport S. Previously: 2016 JK, '97 TJ
9 Posts
I swear by BFG AT KO2's. I had BFG AT's on my 1997 TJ and ran them forever. Then in my JK, I put over 75,000 miles on BFG AT KO2's and they were indestructible, great on trails, snow, everything. And I just put a new set on the JL and know they'll handle everything (and they look rad too).

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I swear by BFG AT KO2's. I had BFG AT's on my 1997 TJ and ran them forever. Then in my JK, I put over 75,000 miles on BFG AT KO2's and they were indestructible, great on trails, snow, everything. And I just put a new set on the JL and know they'll handle everything (and they look rad too).
They are certainly the nicest, and most aggressive looking AT tire......

·
Super Moderator
16,281 Posts
I touch a lot of tires... I currently think the best all around tire is the Falken AT3W... It does everything that a Duratrac or KO2 does and probably a little better.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Long lasting never factored into my buying decisions, but BFG KO2’s would be my choice for an “all around”
I have Maxxis Trepador’s (Bias) MTs on my JKU, because “on-road” manners didn’t mean anything to me..... I put Patagonia MT’s on my JK, and wish I had KO2s instead, and that’s only because it’s used primarily on-road, but only 1500-2000 miles a year. I just don’t find the Pats to be worth the road manners sacrifice
In fairness though, the KO2 is an AT and the Pats are MTs and they ride really well on road, smooth and quiet. Personally the Pats are the best riding on road MT I have ever had and I have had many over the years. They also perform very well off road IMO. Granted they don't last forever but longevity is way down on my own list of importance. Not to mention they are still less expensive than every other tire of good quality on the market.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The tire you want off-road isn't the tire you want on the road. Most MT tires tend to wear funny and/or chunk way before an AT tire will. Having had most everything, my vote for all around tire for pavement and that I can wheel with would be a Falken AT3W or the BFG KO2.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
94,589 Posts
Strictly off Road..Nitto Trail Grapplers. Combination of both on highway, off highway, Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just came back from Moab. Talked with a few Jeep rental places while there. Seems Patagonia MILESTAR MT is being used a lot there. Cheap and works. Can't comment about wear. I also watch Matt's Offroad Recovery on You Tube, He runs a tow service out of St. George UT. He does a lot of off road rescues. He swears by the Patagonia's

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have never been let down by BFGoodrich KOs or KMs. I love the traction the KM3s give me off-roading in the desert. I drove on KOs from the 1990s until I got my Rubicon with KMs.
I had Firestone’s as original equipment on a couple different vehicles and never had so many flats (on road or off road).

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
I have no idea what the best tires are, but over the decades I’ve used BFG KOs, KM2s, and now KM3s, and they have done what I asked of them.

Reactions: bill61
1 - 16 of 16 Posts