Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some very old BF A/T KO 33x12.5x15

I've been struggling between new wheels and new tires!

I want some tires that are quiet on the rode and can hold up well in some mud.
My 2.5l is my daily driver, so even though I do go mudding a couple times out of the month, I would like to be comfortable. It wouldn't hurt if they looked pretty nice too.

I've been looking at Mickey Thompson Baja's and I really like them, I wanted to know if you guys had an experience with them and/or have a better brand that I could look up

Thanks ! :drinks:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
Since you enjoy mudding, get something besides more all terrains which are horrible in mud... mud turns them into slicks. BFG's Mud Terrain KM2 is a good all-around tire that is fairly quiet on the road and is a good choice for most non-deep mud.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you enjoy mudding, get something besides more all terrains which are horrible in mud... mud turns them into slicks. BFG's Mud Terrain KM2 is a good all-around tire that is fairly quiet on the road and is a good choice for most non-deep mud.
Thanks! I was also wondering if I wanted to get new rims, would a negative offset 1: make my tire stick out a little more w/o buying spacers and 2: would it put more stress on the axles when mudding or in general?

·
Registered
646 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but negative offset means less backspacing, so the wheel gets pushed out. this gives you more clearance for the tires on a full steering lock on both sides. shouldn't be too hard on your hubs and studs even if you drive a little less than conservatively. if it sticks out too far, it can strain those components and cause premature wear. plus, it makes the jeep drive itself...not a good thing.

if you go new wheels and tires, what size are you gonna consider? i run 15x10s for my 33x12.50s. if i knew any better, i would have gone 15x8 instead.

x2 on the BFG muds. i would have liked them more than the KOs but the tread wear was rather uneven and caused more than bearable noises on my last set.

Duratracs are the "IN" thing now, with good reason.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
Thanks! I was also wondering if I wanted to get new rims, would a negative offset 1: make my tire stick out a little more w/o buying spacers and 2: would it put more stress on the axles when mudding or in general?
Forget you ever heard the term 'offset' which is really a measurement meant and more useful for car wheels.

The correct measurement that is more helpful for Jeeps (and trucks) is 'backspacing' which is a direct measurement of how far into the wheelwell the wheel's inner most edge protrudes. The higher the backspacing, the more in the wheel well the wheel is positioned.

For most commonly used larger tire sizes, 3.75" of backspacing works and is easily found. The factory wheels typically have 5.25 to 5.5" of backspacing which means a wheel with 3.75" is positioned 1.5" to 1.75" further away from the suspension which gives a wider tire more clearance.

The yellow tape measure in the below photo is measuring a wheel's backspacing. That distance between the inner-most edge of the wheel and its mounting surface. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
correct me if i'm wrong, but negative offset means less backspacing, so the wheel gets pushed out. this gives you more clearance for the tires on a full steering lock on both sides. shouldn't be too hard on your hubs and studs even if you drive a little less than conservatively. if it sticks out too far, it can strain those components and cause premature wear. plus, it makes the jeep drive itself...not a good thing.

if you go new wheels and tires, what size are you gonna consider? i run 15x10s for my 33x12.50s. if i knew any better, i would have gone 15x8 instead.

x2 on the BFG muds. i would have liked them more than the KOs but the tread wear was rather uneven and caused more than bearable noises on my last set.

Duratracs are the "IN" thing now, with good reason.
33x12.5 and 15x8 is what I've read is the best way to go. I would go with 35" because I have a 4" lift but o only have a 2.5l and I struggle as it is

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
33x12.5 and 15x8 is what I've read is the best way to go. I would go with 35" because I have a 4" lift but o only have a 2.5l and I struggle as it is
Your 2.5L engine means your rear axle is a Dana 35 which isn't strong enough to hold up to 35's. Not to mention you can't gear the Dana 35 low enough to push those 35's with your four-banger. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your 2.5L engine means your rear axle is a Dana 35 which isn't strong enough to hold up to 35's. Not to mention you can't gear the Dana 35 low enough to push those 35's with your four-banger. :)
Haha you actually answered my next question. I have them regeared now to 4.88 F&R, I was gonna ask that if I did bump up to 35s would that be an awful decision? But it seems so haha

·
Registered
646 Posts
yeah not a lot of money goes into them D35s. though the aftermarket makes it possible to hold up 35" tires on em, they're priced at around the same for a Dana 44 swapped out of a TJ Rubicon or LJ. at least with those axles you don't have to go too far of a distance to get them to work with 35s.

i know a guy back home on Oahu (smaller island in Hawaii) that did some work to his 2.5L to get some more juice out of it and had great success in turbocharging it. but for a 2.5L is a big leap and commitment. dude's a home garage builder of all kinds of stupid stuff though LOL. He ran 38s last time i wheeled with him. says he was getting bored of all the V8 projects, made the trail runs too easy...

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
X2

Discount is selling these for close to $250 installed with certificates for 35's. Way cheaper for smaller I'm sure. I just bought a set and couldn't be happier after a set of Wrangler MTR's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts