Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my situation, about 3 months ago I had a 2.5 inch rough country lift (could and shocks) installed on my 08' JK unlimited Sahara. With that I decided to go with 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ on stock wheels (had to use 1.5 inch wheel spacers). To put it simply, the thing rode like a dump truck. I tried everything to get it to ride smooth. I'm 18 and don't have much $ so that's why I went with rough country. It does the job at least as Gave me the looks I wanted. I finally got so fed up with the ride quality that I put back the stock 32 inch tires. Day and night difference with the ride quality. No more steering vibration and not having to fight the damn thing going down the road to stay in a straight line. The 315/70/17s are basically a 35 inch tire. DEFINITELY not going that big again. I'm lookin for the best tires out there in the 33 inch size for street and highway driving. I use my jeep about 10% off road so I'm looking for some tires that will look good with a 2.5 inch lift and will perform best on the street. Any suggestions? I'm leaning more toward AT tires.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The tires you had are quality tires. It sounds like you had the PSI too high and the tires also needed to be balanced. Did you get an alignment after the lift install? Wider tires whether 35 or 33 will wander on the road much more than stock tires. It's what wide tires do.

Reactions: Wandell

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I agree. Also, with an inexpensive lift that doesn't include longer control arms, geometry correction brackets (to correct the castor) can make a world of difference in the "twitchy" steering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tires you had are quality tires. It sounds like you had the PSI too high and the tires also needed to be balanced. Did you get an alignment after the lift install? Wider tires whether 35 or 33 will wander on the road much more than stock tires. It's what wide tires do.
Everything I've read has also said they are quality tires. And yes, had them road force balanced and an alignment at the shop I got the lift installed. Don't know exactly what made the ride so sloppy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
***ALSO dropped the PSI twice. From 35 to 33, then 33 to 30. 30 ran better than 35 however still rode like a dump truck

·
Super Moderator
15,475 Posts
A/T's will be much more mild mannered. Even the aggressive ones typically drive very nice. I like the 285/70-17 as a 33, but they are a bit narrow for someone looking for a big tire look. The 305/65-17 is the same diameter and looks more substantial. But that extra width contributes to the poor drive.
There just isn't as many tires in the 305 size, none are inexpensive and they are all E rated...

The safe bet is the 285/70-17, but I don't know if you'll be impressed with the look.

I think you can get the Falken AT3W for about $150 each in a C rating...

Edit: My daughter runs 285/70-17's on her 2dr.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A/T's will be much more mild mannered. Even the aggressive ones typically drive very nice. I like the 285/70-17 as a 33, but they are a bit narrow for someone looking for a big tire look. The 305/65-17 is the same diameter and looks more substantial. But that extra width contributes to the poor drive.
There just isn't as many tires in the 305 size, none are inexpensive and they are all E rated...

The safe bet is the 285/70-17, but I don't know if you'll be impressed with the look.

I think you can get the Falken AT3W for about $150 each in a C rating...

Edit: My daughter runs 285/70-17's on her 2dr.

I think the 285/70's looks pretty good. Seem like a decent size. Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think the 285/70's looks pretty good. Seem like a decent size. Thanks!

Here's another photo of 285/70/17 (Falkens in P metric no less) for reference. My Jeep only had a leveling kit (2" front/1" rear) and my feeling is that 34's would be a better fit for the lift. All that space above the front tire bugs me and I think proportionally the tires could be a touch larger but with a 3.8 auto I was not prepared to go bigger than 33's. Makes me wonder if you couldn't solve your problem with a little more investment in geometry correction rather than new rubber all the way around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts