Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 97 TJ, with 168,000 miles. 30 in tires. How do I know if my D35 is going to blow apart or one axle slid out. I am not going to to off road it.
Is there any end play or tell tail signs to look for ?
do I just wait until it blows?

thanks
P. Scott:whistling:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would just wait, I had an '94 XJ with a 4" lift running 31-10.50-15 and went wheeling all the time in fact the only thing I ever broke was my motor mout on the passenger side. so in short if your not going off road with it then I would'nt worry to much.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would not worry. with only 30" tires and a open diff. it made it to 168k it will probably outlast the jeep with on road use only..

·
Knows a couple things...
49,492 Posts
I would not worry. with only 30" tires and a open diff. it made it to 168k it will probably outlast the jeep with on road use only..
^This right here. If you ever notice in-out play (never measured it but maybe 3/8") with the axle shafts, no worries as that is 100% normal and is supposed to be there with a c-clip axle like the Dana 35c is.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You better make sure you change that fluid when it should be changed. My open D35 only made it to ~75k but I don't know how abused it was by previous owners. I had it from 62K-75k of all road driving and it blew on me. Only running 30" tires and was not happy it blew before I had a better axle lined up :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts