Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've pretty much done everything I want to to my jeep. 4" lift, 35" tires, Arb Lockers, rock sliders, winch, 2 12" subs, front and rear bumper, hitch, roof rack, leds and all. And I love it but damn she's heavy. What should I do leave it? Do some engine upgrades? If so what should I do?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Snorkel?

I don't really like the idea of most engine upgrades in Wranglers. With that much junk on the Jeep, its not like its going to go fast. Chips can be a good investment.

Other than that I'd say go find some new holes to drive it through and enjoy the fruits of your labor and the cash flow that you'll have in hand instead of in the jeep.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
A winch is always a good investment.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
So I've pretty much done everything I want to to my jeep. 4" lift, 35" tires, Arb Lockers, rock sliders, winch, 2 12" subs, front and rear bumper, hitch, roof rack, leds and all. And I love it but damn she's heavy. What should I do leave it? Do some engine upgrades? If so what should I do?
Where do you drive ?? What do you expect ?? I've had lots of Jeeps. Power to weight? The 4.0L is more than plenty for off roading. The Wrangler beats the heck out of a Samuri..... Why do you feel underpowered.

AEV has a couple of HEMI upgrades.... if you need it. Banks offers a great turbo option.... if you want high altitude hill climbing Interstate power. BUT.... why do you feel under powered.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
How am I the first person to say GEARS?

You've added weight. You've added leverage against your engine with taller tires. You need lower gears to compensate. Ditching unnecessary weight and being weight-conscience in the future when it comes to choosing armor, wheels, etc. is also a smart idea

·
Registered
646 Posts
You didn't say if you were budget limited.

If no limit, a nice hemi or LS would be good. Go with headers and a nice muffler system, too.

Seriously though, you didn't mention gears, which you should have done with the lockers.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do you drive ?? What do you expect ?? I've had lots of Jeeps. Power to weight? The 4.0L is more than plenty for off roading. The Wrangler beats the heck out of a Samuri..... Why do you feel underpowered. AEV has a couple of HEMI upgrades.... if you need it. Banks offers a great turbo option.... if you want high altitude hill climbing Interstate power. BUT.... why do you feel under powered.
Well I don't really feel under powered till I try and follow my lighter wheeler on the highway. At slow speeds it's great for wheeling. I was looking at things for more highway speeds. But it's mostly just looking at where I should take my mods now that I've got most everything done to it that I can.

And in response to those who said gears. I did do the gears when I hopped in to do my ARBs and went with a bigger ratio than some. And love the results. She's just not the Jeep to go over 65 with out being in a lower gear.

But I guess I was just being stupid sense my sister (not a great judger of Jeeps) was saying my rig was too heavy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Snorkel? I don't really like the idea of most engine upgrades in Wranglers. With that much junk on the Jeep, its not like its going to go fast. Chips can be a good investment. Other than that I'd say go find some new holes to drive it through and enjoy the fruits of your labor and the cash flow that you'll have in hand instead of in the jeep.
I agree with this. I want to go almost every weekend but don't have enough wheelers to go. And the darn snow falls mountains at a time here

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You didn't say if you were budget limited. If no limit, a nice hemi or LS would be good. Go with headers and a nice muffler system, too. Seriously though, you didn't mention gears, which you should have done with the lockers.
I forgot to write them on there :-0

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well I don't really feel under powered till I try and follow my lighter wheeler on the highway.
What gears did you go with? My rig is pretty heavy, with skids, winch, bumpers, spare.
I went 4.56 and I can cruise steady at 75-80 with no problem. I can basically run 45 mph to whatever in 6th gear on flatter roads. I ran to a wheeling spot with a guy with a heavy 08 Rubicon JKU and 35's and he couldn't keep up on the hills, literally. Not sure if he took it out of overdrive, though.

Before, if I shifted to 6th on the highway I would just slowly lose speed, I had to run in 5th on the highway most of the time. Of course, we don't have mountains here in Ohio. :drinks:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What gears did you go with? My rig is pretty heavy, with skids, winch, bumpers, spare. I went 4.56 and I can cruise steady at 75-80 with no problem. I can basically run 45 mph to whatever in 6th gear on flatter roads. I ran to a wheeling spot with a guy with a heavy 08 Rubicon JKU and 35's and he couldn't keep up on the hills, literally. Not sure if he took it out of overdrive, though. Before, if I shifted to 6th on the highway I would just slowly lose speed, I had to run in 5th on the highway most of the time. Of course, we don't have mountains here in Ohio. :drinks:
I went big with 5.11 on front and 5.13 on back. Works great for getting the tires to spin on anything but pavement. But I hit a steep hill in the mountains and slowly lose speed till I hit 60 ish. Depends on the hill. It may actually be different now. Last time I went out I had a very slightly bent front driveshaft. Had no idea till I tried collapsing it the other day off my rig. Couldn't get the damn thing to move. But ya I replaced that so maybe that was the problem

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Living in Colorado, my vote is V8 swap. Check that. Supercharged V8 swap.
That will get you up the hills.
You could do a turbo kit, or supercharger on the V6, but that's like buying a muscle suit, instead of going to the gym.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I vote turbo :)

Stage 2 Prodigy Performance turbo will about double your peak power, and more than double your torque in the mid/upper RPM range, right where you need it for quick bursts of acceleration on the streets (accelerating onto freeways, passing on highways, etc).

Turbo will also have less power loss due to elevation than a supercharger or a big naturally aspirated V8.

There's a couple recent threads where I've already answered a lot of questions/concerns about the turbo:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/rrip-vs-magnuson-vs-sprintex-vs-edelbrook-vs-prodigy-turbo-1664529.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/6-4l-v8-hemi-converstion-1659961.html

here's what it does for my lightweight 2-door. Of course, a modded and heavy Wrangler will be slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TCzCAcfajU

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I went big with 5.11 on front and 5.13 on back.
Ummmm, I've never seen a 5:11 ratio in any differential.

My JK has hit the scales at 6200 lbs without my fat ass in it and it get around good for a 3.8 with 5:38's

Keeps up with a lighter 3.6 on 37's and 5:13's in the hills

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I went big with 5.11 on front and 5.13 on back.
Wait... what? You put different gear ratios in the front and rear diffs? Why?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts